Why can’t you hear your inner voice, AKA your Intuition?
I get a lot of email from subscribers asking me why they can’t hear their intuition loud and clear.
So today I’m opening up the PbI mailbag once again to address this frequently asked question.
5 Reasons Why You Can’t Hear Your Intuition
1. The first thing you need to understand about Intuition is that it’s quite subtle especially when you first begin to work with it. It presents itself in very “ordinary” ways that can easily be overlooked.
2. You have the power to turn up the volume of your intuition and to mute it as well. You are always in control….even when you feel as if you’re not getting the answers you desire. Most likely you’re getting the intuitive information you’ve asked for but, you’re suppressing this information. More on this below in #4.
3. Developing intuition is like any other thing we set out to accomplish in our lives; our intention is key. You must create the intention of hearing and then following your intuition in your life if you wish to hear it loud and clear.
4. Another factor you need to understand about your Intuition is that when you’re attached to the outcome you will unconsciously suppress this information from your mind if it conflicts with the outcome your desire.
5. The last thing on this list you must absolutely understand is this: Human Beings can rationalize and justify almost anything if there is a reason to do so! Read the following two examples and this will become very clear.
Say you suffer from symptoms such as occasional dizziness, blurred vision, brain fog, motor skills issues and and neck and back pain. You go from doctor to doctor but none find anything seriously wrong. You are prescribed muscle relaxants for your back and neck pain but the symptoms persist. Your family is tired of hearing your complaints and are starting to believe most of it is in “your head.”
You decide the doctors must be right, that it must be all in your head and take your meds and go about your life.
As the symptoms persist you can’t shake the feeling in your gut that something is wrong. You rationalize it away though by thinking that it’s just fear talking and not a real health issue.
Months later you have a seizure and an MRI reveals a serious problem in the brain.
Your immediate reaction is, “I knew something wasn’t right!”
You realize that you let yourself override your intuition because you rationalized that you couldn’t possibly know more than the medical establishment.
You meet a new love interest and start living together. You get along well and enjoy a really nice lifestyle together. You love to travel together and enjoy many of the same interests.
This person is head over heels in love with you but you don’t feel the same although you care for them a great deal. Eventually, they start talking marriage. Your friends and family tell you that this person is really great and how lucky you are to have found each other. They point out all the good qualities the person has and you can’t disagree either….they are a really exceptional person.
The problem is that you can’t make up your mind what to do. You get stuck in an endless loop of considering how “lucky” you are to have this person in your life and how wonderful all your friends and family say this person is. Yet something holds you back from jumping into the marriage.
You finally say yes and get married. Two years later the marriage is over.
You now realize the reason you held back from jumping into the marriage was because you were never in love with your partner in the first place. This person “checked off” all the boxes on your ideal mate list except the one about being in love! You settled and talked yourself into it.
How to Begin Hearing Your Inner Voice, AKA Intuition:
1. Journal. It’s easy to get in touch with your feelings when you journal. I wrote about this extensively in my book, “The Intuition Principle.” Journaling is a safe place to reveal your true feelings. Writing will also help you organize your thoughts and sort out what you believe over what society has imposed upon you. A good way to get to the bottom of your own feelings is to write out the question you want an answer to at the top of the page then just start writing without censoring yourself. When you feel that sense of completion – stop. Go back to read what you’ve written and you will be amazed at the wisdom that has poured out of you.
2. Meditate. When you make the time to get quiet every day your intuition will get louder and clearer. The busyness of every day life is distracting. You must create an empty space in the mind where your intuition can come through. Find a quiet and private place where you can close your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes without being disturbed. Focus your attention on counting your breaths until you reach the number 50. At the 50th breath notice how you feel. Your thoughts should have slowed down. You should feel alert yet relaxed. Try to remain in that state. If your mind begins to race go back to counting the next 5o breaths. These relaxed moments where your thinking has slowed down is where your intuition will begin to come through. Ask a question you’d like guidance on then sit quietly and listen.
3. Take back your power. Realize that if a feeling or thought persists it persists for a reason. If you feel in your gut that you’re not okay with the diagnosis from your doctor get another opinion. If you hesitate to make a decision even if everyone you know says it’s right, there is a reason. Don’t go along with the what other people think if you have a nagging thought or feeling that you should do something different. The truth is we’re raised to listen to authority figures but that doesn’t mean they’ll be right every time.
Where have you overridden your intuition in your life? How did it turn out? What will you do differently from now on?
If you enjoyed this article please share it on Twitter, FB & G+. Thank you.
P.S. Learn to clearly hear your intuition: Click Here.
Photo: Bigstock 974009
- How to tell the difference between intuition and our thoughts
- How to get intuitive insight – a video chat
- Developing intuition, identifying intuition and getting unstuck
Powered by Facebook Comments