Do you focus on your struggles?
Many times we get so caught up in focusing on what we don’t want that we forget that we can change our mindset. Have you forgotten?
If so, I’m glad you’re reading this. I forget sometimes too……and have to remind myself that I can change my mindset.
I like to think of my mindset as if it were a television. When I realize I’ve spent way too much time on a broadcast that depresses me and makes me feel worse I can change the channel. And you can change your channel too.
There will always be struggles and challenges in our lives. That’s just part of life. The sooner we accept this and find a way to navigate challenges without letting them dictate our state of mind the happier we will be overall.
It’s okay to be unhappy and upset when things happen. That’s normal and you’re human after all. There is a point however that we have to pick ourselves up and deal with what life has dealt us. We can’t wallow in our negative mindset and expect to feel better. Once the initial shock and pain has subsided it’s time to do what’s necessary.
The only thing we truly can control is our mindset
The truth is we have little control over any circumstances other than our mindset so, to let circumstances keep us focused on the station that reruns the same depressing show over and over is insane. We must choose to change the channel away from the one rebroadcasting the obstacles and challenges in our lives. Choosing to change the channel showing our problems doesn’t mean we ignore them. The problems are real and they aren’t going away unless we DO SOMETHING!
Doing something about our problems is the way out of them. No amount of wishing or visualizing and repeating affirmations is going to change things until we take action.
Want a better job? Get your resume cleaned up!
Want to improve your health? Get rid of the junk food!
Want a loving partner? Be the loving partner that you wish to attract!
Want to support yourself with your spiritual or healing gifts? Learn to market yourself.
But we can feel better while we work our way out of our problems. That’s what changing the channel is all about.
When you take action it’s important to focus on what you want and not what you don’t. Instead of focusing on how much you dislike the current job you’re in while you’re looking for a new one turn your thought process around. Focus on how you would feel if you already had a job you love. Tap into those emotions right now. Send out those resumes, call up old colleagues and see if they know of any openings and go to networking meetings while you’re feeling all pumped up and excited about already having this awesome new job.
You’re attitude pervades everything that you do. Feeling great, as if you already have a job you love, while taking action is going to open more doors than going around complaining and whining about your current job.
How to Change the Channel On Your Mindset in 5 Steps:
1. Define the problem. What’s eating you? Hate your job, dislike where you live, want lose weight, not making enough money?
2. What would you like instead? Ask yourself what you would like instead? A job you love, a home in a place you love, a healthy strong slim body, having more than enough money to have and do everything you desire? Be specific!
3. Elicit the emotions behind having what you’d like instead. Ask yourself this magic question: Why do I want “this” instead? Here’s an example: Say you are focusing on how unhappy you are in your current home. You ask yourself what you’d like instead and you say you’d like to live in a house overlooking a river in mountains.
Now ask the “magic” question: Why? You reply, “Because I love seeing mountains as far as the eye can see and I love seeing water. But why…….keep digging until you hit the emotion behind the reason you want what you want. You ask “why” again and the answer is because you feel blissful, joyous and at peace when you’re in a natural setting. So now you’ve gotten to the root of the emotion you want to tune into: joy and peace.
4. Change the channel! Put your attention on the beautiful way you feel in your new mountain home overlooking a river. See the house….the garden, the soaring mountains all around you and the sparkling water as it rushes downriver. Feel the joy and peace and the thrill of living where your soul is nourished.
5. Take inspired action. Now with this feeling in the forefront of your mind take the actions you need to take to change the circumstances of your life. Call the realtor you met in the grocery checkout line……..visit some open houses for properties along the river, clean out a few closets in preparation for your move. Indulge your senses in the emotions and experience of owning a home in your ideal spot.
I guarantee that if you change your channel from your struggles, problems and what you don’t want in your life to the channel that features what you want and makes you feel AMAZING and take action to change your circumstances your life will ultimately become an amazing reflection of the emotions you feel. Try it now!
What channel is your mindset on? What channel would you prefer to watch instead? How will this impact your life?
If you enjoyed this article please share it with a friend on Twitter, FB or G+
P.S. Get in touch with your intuition: Click here!
This article was inspired by one of my all time favorite books: Excuse Me Your Life is Waiting by Lynn Grabhorn
- Do You Hide From the Spotlight? (poweredbyintuition.com)
- The Intuitively Inspired Life & the Hero’s Journey (poweredbyintuition.com)
- How to “Split the Atom” of Your Potential & Release Your Power (poweredbyintuition.com)