13 Signs You May Be a Medium

Have you ever wondered if you might be a medium?Signs you might be a medium

Read this article to learn the 13 signs of mediumistic abilities and see if you are a budding medium.

There are two types of mediums

A natural born medium and latent medium – one who develops their abilities later in life. Being a natural born medium means that your abilities presented themselves from childhood. A latent medium has the abilities but, they do not present themselves until later in life.

Developing psychic mediumship later in life is usually due to an inner transformation that triggers a spiritual awakening and search for more meaning in life.

Differences between intuition, psychic ability and mediumship

Every person is intuitive to a degree. Intuition is your own inner wisdom. It is a higher form of “instinct” and it is programmed into humans in order to avoid danger and so our species will survive.

Psychic ability is going outside of oneself and retrieving information.

A psychic can tap into the future or the past and has abilities such as “clairvoyance” which is seeing what cannot be seen with the physical eyes; “clairaudience” which is the ability to hear within the mind what cannot be heard with the physical ears; “clairsentience” which is the ability to experience other people’s emotions and physical ailments; “claircognizance” which is clearly knowing something without knowing how you know.

All mediums are psychic but, not all psychics are mediums

A medium will have all of the previous abilities but, in addition, they will also have highly developed telepathic abilities that allow them to receive “mind to mind” communication from a deceased individual. They will be able to “see” and describe the deceased, “hear” words, names, phrases and sometimes complete sentences and, “feel” the presence or experience the feelings or pains/illnesses of the deceased individual and will describe all of this to you as it is given to them by the discarnate.

Here are some signs that you may be a medium. The sign applies to you whether it appeared in childhood or at a more mature age. You don’t have to have had all these things happen to you to be mediumistic:

1. As a child did you have a fear of the dark? Did you hear your name being called or see faces or shadows moving about your room? Did you need a nightlight in the room in order to sleep undisturbed and peacefully?

2. Were you aware of “feeling different” or not fitting in as a child and while growing up? Were you a bit of a loner and not a joiner? Did you feel mature or like “old soul” compared to your playmates? Did adults constantly remark on how “mature” you were? Do you recall knowing things but, not knowing how you knew?

3. Were you drawn at an early age to explore metaphysics, spirituality and religion? Were you always searching for answers to the “big” questions in life such as, “why are here?” and “what is the point of our lives?”

4. Were you or are you now visited by discarnate beings? Do you “see” spirits? Keep in mind that most of the time mediums “see” within the mind’s eye not with the physical eye although, this does occur.

5. You may not have been afraid of the dark but, were aware of spirits (or people – you may not have realized they were deceased) at a very young age. Did you have what your parents called an “imaginary friend? Did you tell them you “saw grandma?”

6. Are you sensitive to energy? Can you sense when someone walks into the room without turning around? Being aware of “presences” and sensing the “energy” change in your environment. Have you ever been “touched” or tapped on the shoulder by a spirit? Some mediums do not “see” or “hear” as much as they get much their information “clairsentiently” or “claircognizantly.”

7. Have you always had vivid dreams that you recall upon waking? Were the dreams sometimes precognitive – meaning they predicted some future event that came to pass? Were you visited by deceased relatives in these dreams? When you woke up did you feel as if they had really been there?

8. When you close your eyes did or do you see colors, faces and landscapes? Did you sometimes “see” in your mind’s eye that you are flying over changing landscapes or seascapes? Can you close your eyes and “see” what someone is wearing or doing? Can you “see” what their house looks like?

9. Have you had spontaneous out of body experiences? Were you able to look back and see your “body?” Did you hurdle through the blackness of space and pass by stars at incredible speeds? Did you encounter discarnate entities while out of your body?

10. Did you or do you sometimes blurt things out that you “heard” in your mind that you had no way of knowing that turn out to be true? Are you aware of “knocks, “raps,” or “hearing” whispers or people talking that you can’t make out, or can you recall hearing directives such as, “NO” or “STOP” or “DON’T GO THERE” throughout the course of your life, or a ringing in your ears quite often?

11. Did you or do you “see” symbols or colors around people? “Seeing”  this way usually takes place within the mind’s eye not the physical eyes. Do you “see” for example, a hospital bed and then learn the next day this person was rushed to the hospital? Or, do you see colors in certain places on a person that you “understand” to mean certain things about them? You are seeing the person’s energy signature – their aura.

12. Have you ever been aware of how others felt emotionally or the pain they were experiencing in their body? Do your moods change when you are around others? Are you susceptible to picking up other people’s moods? If someone is angry are you agitated by their energy?

13. Have you ever held an object belonging to another person and gotten a strong sense about that person? Were you able to describe their personality or something they were going through? Reading objects is called “psychometry.” You have the ability to interpret the residual energy accumulated within or attached to an object from its owner.

If you regularly experience six, seven or more of these signs you are mediumistic and could develop your abilities further if you desire.

Have you experienced any of these signs? Which ones – what happened? Are you interested in learning more about mediumship?

If you enjoyed this post share it with a friend on Twitter, FB or Google+. Thank you.

P.S. Develop your natural intuition – click here.

P.P.S. I am looking for stories from PbI subscribers who are regular folk, not psychics or mediums, who have seen the spirit of a loved one. I’d like to include them in an upcoming post. Subscribe to contact me and send your story. It could be included in the article. Thank you!

Photo:© olly – Fotolia.com

Comments

comments

jobs

1. tasha payton

Hi, I’ve experienced several of the above. I am constantly seeing images in my head. use to be when i closed my eyes now it just happens! I see clips of random peoples lives sort of like a short film. My mom passed away last year and I knew she was going to pass away weeks before it happened. I have had an out of body experience that scared me to death! People drain me i’m always told that I give great advice so they all bring their problems. The thing is I have very bad anxiety and am taking on others energy positive or negative. I would love to control and better understand my ability so I can live a more relaxed life. Please help!

• Hi Tasha,
      I got your email and responded to your questions there with a long reply.
      I will say though, you are definitely a budding medium and you should develop this.
      Controlling this ability is vital to living a balanced life and controlling your anxiety.
      I suggest reading my book, The Intuition Answer Book.
      In there I answer reader’s questions that are a lot like yours and give them exercises to do to control the flow of information through their psychic channels.
      It’s so great to meet you!
      All my best to you.

2. Catherine

Hello, I have experience all of these.. Each one.. Im not sure what they mean, or why i see them.. But i often feel like i have a spirit guide that tells me things and warns me, i am a full grown adult still terrified of the dark.. And its un explainable. I feel like im constantly being watched. And i often know what people are thinking.. I was so curious about my mind that i studied Psychology. Why do i see the things that come to me. Even weirder. My neighbor was murdered, every time i pass her house i see what happened to her. it become so strong that i stopped going near there.. What is going on with me?

• Hi Catherine,
      You sound as if you are clairvoyant and mediumistic. I would definitely work on learning how to develop and control these abilities.
      I have a good book I like to recommend if you’re interested: So You Want to be a Medium? and for developing your intuition, my book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Intuition-Principle-Attract-ebook/dp/B007P6HIU2/ref=as_li_wdgt_js_ex?&linkCode=wey&tag=mystmusimedi-20

You need to learn how to turn it off so you can have peace. When you want to tune it – you turn it on. This way you are in control. You also need to set the boundaries and say to your spirit guides or whomever it is that is watching you, “No! Back off. If and when I want to communicate with you I will tell you.” Or, something like that.

Your abilities have flowered but you don’t yet know how to work with them and be in control – that’s what’s happening to you.

I hope this helps you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for a reading if you want more information.
      Best,

3. sue shortall

hi there enjoyed reading this alot, I hav had questions in my mind 4 a long time & this answered them 4me,
    I got 11/13 of them & they r very true 2 form.
    my gift as I call it has developed stronger as I hav
    gotten older.but as I dont truly no hw 2 wrk with it
    I ignore it, mayb safer,
    wud love 2 talk more with u

yours honestly
    sue

• HI Sue,
      So nice to meet you. Welcome to Powered by Intuition!
      I’m glad this post answered so many of your questions.
      You must be a psychic medium if you got 11 out 13, for sure.
      You need to develop it under the guidance of properly trained medium to learn how to control it.
      If you’d like to contact me- you can email me. Subscribe and then you’ll have my email address.
      All my best,

• Gaehr

How do I further myself? I have the dreams and everything I get “feelings” like I can feel people with me dead and alive. I keep feeling someone behind me that isn’t there seeing a person near me everywhere. I need help.

4. How fascinating. I could say yes to eight of these. Someone recently told me that I might have channeling abilities–is that the same thing? Maybe not. At any rate, the one that shows up the most frequently in my life is the claircognizance. I’m not sure how that is really different from intuition, but I know that I often “know” something, often something very specific, without knowing how I know it. My kids did not appreciate this very much!
    Galen Pearl recently posted..To Question or Not To Question?

• Hi Galen,
      I”m not surprised. You have always talked about “knowing” things which is claircognizance. I’m sure your kids didn’t appreciate it one bit! LOL
      Channeling isn’t the same but, it is similar.

When you channel you bring through a discarnate intelligence that may or may not have lived upon the earth as a human being at one time. Usually when you channel you are getting information and answers about life from the intelligence. Think of “Abraham” from Esther Hicks or “Seth” from Jane Roberts. They was channeling.

When you are a medium you speak for deceased human beings who want to communicate with their loved ones still living in a body.

• So two follow up questions. How is channeling different from being a medium? And how is claircognizance different from intuition? Thanks for your patience in instruction!
        Galen Pearl recently posted..To Question or Not To Question?

• Hi Galen,
          Good questions. I answered one of them in my original reply but, I’ll cut and paste it here for you:

Channeling isn’t the same as being a medium but, it has similarities.

When you channel you bring through a discarnate intelligence that may or may not have lived upon the earth as a human being at one time. Usually when you channel you are getting information and answers about life’s big questions from the intelligence. (Some psychics use channeling to give a psychic reading for clients) Think of “Abraham” from Esther Hicks or “Seth” from Jane Roberts. They was channeling.

Claircognizance is a psychic ability and comes from outside of yourself. You just “know” that this person is going to die or that tomorrow they will be in the hospital. Your energy is intertwined with the energy of all intelligent life. Think of it as how I describe it in my book: The World Wide Web of Consciousness. Your mind – which is not a physical organ is connected through this web. At times, you will involuntarily receive information this way about things. What we call mother’s intuition is very misleading – it’s not intuition it’s a psychic ability and we all have this.

The word intuition is very misused –

Intuition is your own inner wisdom. Most intuitive information comes from what you’ve stored in the subconscious and forgotten. Much of what we call intuition is “pattern recognition” based on something we’ve learned to such a degree that the moment we get something close our subconscious recognizes it and “throws the answer into your awareness.” Think of it like hearing the first note of a song and knowing which song it is in the blink of eye. You’ve heard it so many times that – this note alone is enough for your subconscious to retrieve the song’s title.

Does this make it clearer?

• Oh, yes, very helpful. And thanks for repeating your answer to the first question. I read it when you first answered it, but then got muddled again when I was asking the additional question. As you can see, I need many tutorials! Thank you for your patience.
            Galen Pearl recently posted..Arrows into Flowers

5. Angela, you know I am a happy soul who sometimes meets a different set of people in my ongoing dreams. I am surprised to say yes to most of the above points. I had chalked it all down to compassion, empathy and just being sensitive. Hmm. Love the post. I couldn’t have verbalized so well. Not sure how true this is – but I’ve found that people who follow a strong prayer routine seriously seem more tuned to the subconscious mind and are able to “see” more.

Special thanks for the gift of today’s morning, Angela. You’ve no idea how much it means to me.

Love, Vidya
    Vidya Sury recently posted..I am Enough – An Affirmation

• Hi Vidya,
      You’ve mentioned this dream to me previously and I find it fascinating! I think they are either your “soul group” or your guides. I’m not suprised that you said, “yes” to many of these. I was thinking of you as I was writing and nodding my head thinking you would say “yes” to many!
      Compassion, empathy and sensitivity are important aspects of psychic ability to be sure.
      Loved ones speaking through mediums continually report that the blessings and prayers sent from the living are not only heard but, that they help elevate them to higher levels in the afterlife. Sincere faith and prayer to deities and saints will deepen your connection to “Spirit/Source.”
      If you pray regularly and get into a deep “zone” during the prayer you are more then likely opening your psychic channels too.

You are so welcome! I loved bringing your Mom through for you. She is such a sweet soul – I can see you are so much like her too. I do believe she prompted to reach out to you as the anniversary of her transition is just around the corner.
      Big hugs to you Vidya!

6. Great post Angela!
    I have definitely had more than one of these things happen to me. I have vivid dreams. And I was afraid of the dark as a child. I get little messages to call friends or my mother. My husband and I often know what the other is going to say. Your information is very interesting!
    Thanks!!
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted..This Inspirational Movie Can Inspire Random Acts Of Kindness!

• Hi Betsy,
      I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Having vivid dreams is a big one. It sounds like you have some untapped psychic abilities.
      You and your husband are really attuned to one another. You’re also very psychically tuned into your friends and family.
      You could develop this further you know?
      Best,

7. Angela-

Shuck!! I’m not a medium. Yes- there were some I could identify with but not enough to give myself the ‘maybe I am’ one.

I always love reading your posts Angela ~ I walk away feeling as if I’ve learned something. This one woke me up with my first cup of coffee and is giving me a bit of internal ‘pep in my step’ as I start a new work week.
    xxoo-Fran
    Fran Sorin recently posted..42 Top Seeds for 2013 ~From Some Favorite Gardeners and Seed Sources

• Hi Fran,
      I’m so glad you enjoyed this post. You have plenty to keep you busy without taking on mediumship work. I have it on good authority that you are a gifted gardening expert, radio show host, writer, interfaith minister and counselor and great at recognizing the talents of others!

8. Only #6 resonated, but I wasn’t really surprised. I think I’ve become much more sensitive to these qualities in my 40s, but have no recollection from childhood!
    Sandi Amorim recently posted..Find Your Own Light

• Hi Sandy,
      Some mediums do not “see” or “hear” the discarnates so, you could be very mediumistic sensing energy alone.
      A lot of people awaken to their “other” senses after 40.
      You’re in good company!

9. Oh, yes to most of these, especially the parts about colors and auras, of course. I never set out to be a medium specifically, but I have been surprised to find many deceased loved ones coming through in my readings, by name and appearance. I love it when that happens, although I still don’t necessarily go in looking for it. But they show up anyway, bless them! :)
    Jennifer Flint ~ The Aura Reader recently posted..Monday Mantra

• Hi Jenn,
      I’m not surprised! You have a “ghost” boyfriend from years past following you around after all!
      It’s my favorite type of reading by far.

I am surprised at how many of these I’d have to say “yes” to!
    :o
    Lori
    Lori Gosselin recently posted..The Dynamic Life of a Blogger

• Lori,
      I’m so glad! And, I’m not surprised :-)

11. Hi Angela, I loved this article! Yes to all of the above except #9 oobe. Although once I was sitting with my son in a dream observing Earth like from another place out in space. Funny, because while I have had medium experiences in the course of doing intuitive work, and while I find them the “easiest” to connect to, for the most part it doesn’t seem to be my strongest suit or what I am called to do very often.

The more recent experience I had was that I started seeing black X marks on parts of people’s bodies with my eyes open, totally unexpectedly. When I ask them,”Are you having trouble with your elbow?” and they say yes, I’ll ask,”Left or right?” and darned if it isn’t the correct one. THAT was totally unexpected!
    Julie | A Clear Sign recently posted..Behind The Scenes of Your Intuition

• Julie,
      I can’t believe this – I wrote a long reply to your comment and it “disappeared?”
      Weird. I should have added an additional sign to this post: Technology acting up around mediums! (it’s true though)
      I’m sure you have experienced many of these too.
      I totally understand what you’re saying about the mediumship maybe not being your “thing.”
      I had been getting quite a few medical intuitive requests and I feel the same way about those.
      If you’re getting “x” on the body it may be a sign that you are meant to be a spiritual healer and medical intuitive.
      Have you ever thought about that?
      It can take years to find the right path for our psychic abilities.
      I’ve been giving readings since I was twelve and it’s only in the last 7 years that I realized that mediumship was my path.

1. Today I am enough | Take care of the most important 09 07 13