Questions about Hearing Your Spirit Guide?

Questions about hearing your spirit guides?

Carl Jung Carl Jung (Photo credit: o admirador secreto)

I get a lot of questions about spirit guides. I think the topic could use some clarification.

Question: I’ve never heard my spirit guides. I keep asking for them to speak to me but, I don’t seem to hear anything.

Answer: You don’t have to “hear” your spirit guides to benefit from their guidance.

Not everyone has clairaudient ability. Clairaudience is the ability to “hear” within the mind. Some who are exceptionally gifted with clairaudience actually hear the spirit world with their physical ears but, this is one of the rarest of the psychic abilities. So, do not beat yourself up if you don’t “hear” anything.

Question: What can I do to hear my spirit guides?

Answer: To develop clairaudience you can sit in the silence and listen. Practice active listening to attune your mind to listening to the ambient noise around you. See if you can hear the sound of the electrical hum in your home or a train whistle from a distant town. Sharpen your hearing and focus your attention to hearing all sounds around you.

Meditate daily. Learn to listen to your internal dialogue. Most of the time our intuition comes through via our own thoughts in our own voice. This is why we get so hung up on thinking we cannot “hear” our guides. We expect that we will hear a voice that is different from our own inner voice.

Question: Am I doing something wrong? I never seem to get anything.

Answer: No, you’re not doing anything “wrong.”

If you are getting “feelings” about decisions you need to make then “Higher Intelligence” is guiding you.

I believe most of the intuitive guidance we get is from “Higher Intelligence” or what we call our “higher selves.” (To read more on this topic see the section devoted to this in, “The Intuition Principle.”)

Carl Jung talked about what he called the “Collective Unconscious.” He likened the collective unconscious to “a universal library of human knowledge, or the sage in man, the very transcendental wisdom that guides mankind.”

We are no different than Dorothy was in the Wizard of Oz – we have always had the power within us to connect directly to the source of all wisdom and higher states of consciousness. That is why we have our intuition. It is the inner technology that connects us as physical beings to Higher Intelligence/Collective Unconscious/God/Spirit Realm. (Patti Foy of Lightspirited Being. has a great article on this topic).

As Jung pointed out, all the answers can be found in “Higher Intelligence.” So, don’t focus so much on where the answers are coming from but, on the information itself.

Ask yourself, “Is this information helpful? Does it solve my problem?” If so, that is really all that matters.

Questions: I’m confused about the subject of spirit guides. What is the best way to work with a guide?

It is confusing to many people because in the last 20 years or so there’s been this huge influx of information about working with your guides. The trend it established is that we should contact them whenever we need help in our lives.

I actually do not agree with this. Looking to something outside of yourself for all the answers is a way of deferring responsibility for your decisions. It also reinforces the notion that we are all “separate beings.”

I believe that since we are all ONE – and interconnected – even a guide’s consciousness is part of your own consciousness. So, whether the information comes from one entity or the collective unconscious is immaterial because it’s all the same consciousness.

Deferring to a guide also creates a barrier between people and the source of all knowledge. It’s like saying that we cannot speak to God directly but, must go through an intermediary. (Melody Fletcher of Deliberate Blog has a great article on this topic.)

My assessment is this: If you believe that you need a guide to get the answers – you will.

And, if you believe that you can obtain the guidance you desire directly from Higher Intelligence – you will.

Scientific studies over the last thirty years point to the fact that our experience of reality is malleable. We are, in fact, creating what we experience through our beliefs and this applies to our belief in guides as well.

The best way to work with guides is to decide for yourself which way you feel most comfortable and make a personal choice. If you find that working with a guide works for you then, by all means, work with your guides. If you are happy just asking for guidance and trusting what you get then that is what you ought to do.

I produced “The Intuition Principle Guided Meditations,” to help readers get intuitive guidance to solve problems in their lives.

The Intuition Principle album contains guided meditations to help you connect to your guides and meditations to teach you how to get intuitive wisdom directly.

The reason I created both types of guided meditations is because, I believe very strongly that some people are better able to get intuitive guidance directly from Higher Intelligence and other people feel more comfortable using a guide. There is no right or wrong.

Question: How can I tell the difference between my own intuitive guidance that of a guide?

I agree with Anna Conlan of Psychic but Sane on this; many times you will not know the difference between “guidance” that comes from your own intuition/Higher Intelligence or from your guides.

If you’re in meditation and ask for an answer and then an hour later while driving to work are “struck” with a lightening bolt of an idea that solves your problem – who is to say that this came from a “guide” or your own connection to “Higher Intelligence?”

That is why it’s best not to get so hung up on “labels.”

Focus on the results not the mechanics of where the info is coming from.

Question: Sometimes I just feel as if I’m making all this stuff up. How can I change that?

Answer: That’s very common especially in the beginning of working with guides/intuition. You have to trust what you get and relax.

If you notice I use guides/intuition interchangeably. This is because I don’t want you to get so obsessed over where the information comes from.

Answers can come from anywhere. They can manifest through signs and even through the miraculous works of other people as Julie Barrett from A Clear Sign points out in her hilarious article.

You can grow past the feelings of “making it all up” with practice and experience. The more you practice with your intuition the more you will learn to discern between when it’s your imagination and when it is intuition.

Also, stop judging yourself. Allow yourself to experience whatever you experience. When you judge yourself to be “making it all up” you inhibit the flow of intuitive guidance. Don’t worry about being wrong, try to have fun with it and not take it so seriously.

What questions do you have about working with spirit guides? Share them with us. Are you more drawn to developing a direct connection to your intuition or would you rather work with a “guide?”

I hope you enjoyed this article. If so, please share it with a friend on Twitter, FB or G+. Thank you.

P.S. If you’d like to learn how to develop your intuition to get answers for your life – click here.

Photo credit: Flicker Creative Commons

Comments

comments

1. JIM

Thank you for this wonderful eyeopening article. I really love this format. You are so personal. You answer people’s questions, not like most of these other personal development selfstyled gurus. Three Cheers. Now,how can I get a copy of “THE INTUITION PRINCIPLE GUIDED MEDITATION”?

• HI Jim,
      It’s a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to Powered by Intuition. I know you will love the community here.
      Thank you for your lovely compliments as well.
      You can get a copy of the Intuition Principle Guided Meditations here> click
      Best to you,
      Angela.

2. I am so glad you wrote this article. First, I love your perspective on things. Every time I read it I get chills of resonance. Second, I’m glad you mentioned your book, which certainly illuminates wise answers to these questions. You are a ray of light in this world. No doubt about it.

• HI Galen,
      I’m glad you enjoyed this article and found it informative.
      It’s wonderful to know that you resonate to it too!
      Thank you for your lovely compliment about my book and me.
      I truly appreciate it and your friendship too.
      I loved your book and your writing style. I feel that you are writing specifically for me when I read your stories.

3. Thank you Angela for more clarification on hearing our spirit guides and intuition.

I’ve had a mix of both some with dreams, synchronicity, ideas appearing to be my own thoughts, to angels or guides appearing in emergency etc but I’ve realized it’s all guidance and I’m open to however it comes.

• HI Pat,
      Great to see you here.
      I’m glad you found this informative.
      I think it relieves a lot of stress for people to know that they don’t have to worry so much about where the information comes from.
      It frees us to just use the information to improve our lives.
      I’m so glad you’re open to that.

4. Hi Angela
    Hi Angela
    wonderful post and will help so many people. I love your meditation on finding your guide and as you know I met Lily one of my guides on one of your calls which was so special. I am finding that as I allow myself to BE more and meditate more i am getting so much more guidance from my guides and angels- i just have to remember to tune in and ask for their help. Just yesterday I got the message to journal to allow new inspiration and messages to come forth

love and hugs xxoo
    Suzie Cheel recently posted..Suzie’s Online Studio Sale Starts Today!

• Suzie,
      That is wonderful. I’m so glad you’ve developed such a good relationship with “Lily” too.
      xoxo

5. Hello Angela,

I absolutely enjoyed this post, especially your answer to whether we are making things up or not. In fact this is the question that I have been asking some of my friends who channels in the last 1-2 months.

I have been working a lot more on my meditation and having some “weird” or “out of ordinary” experiences but I tend to brush them aside. I guess I don’t want to feel silly, feel that I am making them up or make wild claims that cannot be supported.

Lately, I am getting to the realization that it is not a good idea to brush these aside as this would mean sabotaging my own intuitive/psychic development. Rather, it is better if I simply “allow”.

It is nice to read your answers in this post. I think I was getting hung up on labels too.

I usually work with my higher self and a few guides. But for certain relevant projects, I may ask for the assistance of a specific ascended master. And yes, there are signs of them being around :-)

Hugs,
    Evelyn xo
    Evelyn Lim recently posted..Look Fabulous Above 40: Tips by Facebook Fans

• Hi Evelyn,
      I’m so glad you found this post help to clarifying what you’ve been going through. Sometimes we will feel as if we are making things up – but that’s normal too.

As we get used to working in the spirit realms we can tell the difference. The best way to tell the difference is to think back over what happened and clearly discern whether we “generated” the images/thoughts/feelings or whether they spontaneously appeared in our consciousness. If you ever fantasized or daydreamed you have a recollection of what it feels like to “make things up.” Daydreaming/fantasizing is produced by thinking while psychic seeing/knowing/feeling is not prompted by our thoughts.

As I said, go with it. Don’t get too judgmental. As long as you know you weren’t embellishing the reaction you had with your own thoughts than it is real. Take it at face value. That’s how you will grow and get better at it.

6. It is a fascinating reality – knowing we can communicate with spirit guides. Love your response to wanting to stop wondering if it’s real/making it up “Don’t worry about being wrong, try to have fun with it and not take it so seriously.” It makes sense that, that is the best advice. It takes that curiosity to enter into it and begin to get comfortable with it.
    Aileen | Kaizen Vision recently posted..When Life Rains Boulders

• HI Aileen,
      I’m glad you found this post helpful.
      It’s okay to feel as if you’re making it up in the beginning – just don’t let that stop you.
      xoxo

7. So much to love in this article, Angela! You offer such wonderful, easy to receive reflections in this article, thank you!

When I first became introduced to the idea of spirit guides, I had so many questions..lots of “how do I know” about the form of the guides, and the reflections from them. It was so unfamiliar to me, I wanted to make sure I did “it right”…meaning was there a specific technique to querying and receiving a response..as if wisdom could be ‘wrong’.

I agree that the answers are within. I sometimes like to receive external affirmations of them :)

• Hi Joy,
      I’m happy you found this article helpful. I really want to drive home the point that there is no “doing it right.”
      Each of us is different. Some people resonate to work with guides and others don’t – and that is just fine. :-)

Wonderful explanations, Angela. Clears up a lot. I have never been able to connect with guides, but I do get guidance. So thanks for this.

• HI Rosemarie,
      I’m so glad you found this answer helpful. As long as we get guidance that’s what matters.

This is a really fascinating topic for me.
    I too get confused between what’s ‘my’ inner intuition voice or what would be considered a ‘guide’/’outside’ of myself. but i like your answer that its all coming from one source/one consciousness so the labels don’t matter so much as the output. it all tends to mesh into the same thing, depending on the angle that you look at it. yes, intuition can be a guide, if that’s what you believe in. intuition can be the voice of god if that’s what you believe in… the scientific double slit experiment/study comes to mind.

I think of the yin yang, where they meet and mesh in the middle.. because the two sides are actually one. Intertwined. Co-existing. And in fact, mirroring eachother; one in the same. The difference is the same!
    Janet recently posted..3 Surefire Ways<BR> to Finding Your Sweet Spot

• Hi Janet,
      I’m glad that this answers some of your questions. The more I read about quantum physics/string theory/zero point field the more I am convinced that each of us is an individuation of the all. We are part and parcel of the one consciousness that pervades all so, we have access to all the answers.

Thank you for referencing my Archangel Michael story :) You know, I don’t often think of intuitive assistance in those terms of “where exactly did this come from?” but it makes sense that a lot of people would focus on the particulars. Like you, I would recommend against that. I think there are moments when we do want to make that “one on one contact” that we can have with our guides, especially when we are having a tough time with a decision. Yet there are so many beings helping each of us, and we are all plugged in to universal intelligence and each other, so it makes sense that intuitive information can and will come in differently all of time time and the main thing we need to learn to do is be able to recognize the quality of it and just trust it.

• Hi Julie,
      You’re so welcome! I thought it made an excellent example about how help and answers can come from anywhere and through anyone. I believe as I’ve stated many times before and in “The Intuition Principle.” that we are all connected so, when we request guidance it is telegraphed through the entire consciousness of the Universe. We are more amazing and this life is more awesome than we give it credit for on a daily basis.

Yes, for sure. The main point is – focus on quality of the information not the channel it came through!