e-mail

What If You Don’t Want to Be an Entreprenuer? Is That Okay?

Tags: , ,
api Posted 20 May 2012 in Lifestyle

“All I’ve ever wanted was an honest week’s pay for an honest day’s work.” –Steve Martin

What if you don’t want to be an entrepreneur? Is that okay?

This is the question I’ve been asking myself a lot lately. Well, actually I should rephrase that and be more specific. What I’ve been asking myself is, “Do I want to be an online entrepreneur?”

Do I want to sit in front of my computer 24/7 and eat lunch in the same spot all by myself each day?

Did you read Tim Ferriss’s, “Four Hour Workweek? I did back when it first came out in 2007. The book turned my view of work upside down.

It captured my imagination and no doubt the imagination of millions of other people too.

Hmm, let me get this straight….all I have to do is scale down my expenses, start an online business, work four hours per week and then I can live a location independent life style?

Really? Cool. Count me in!

Fast forward five years to 2012 and I still haven’t figured out how to work only four hours per week. I’m still not “location independent” either. I work pretty much seven days per week in same spot in front of my computer – no working from sandy beaches for me.

This doesn’t seem any different to me than when I was working full time in financial sales on commission. I worked seven days a week then too. The only difference was that when I had a real job I got out. I went to to office, went to see clients and went out to lunch with real people.

You know those emails with the screaming headlines about how if you just “do this one thing” or “buy this one product” then you’ll be set for life as an online marketer – I delete them now.

It seems to me that 90 percent of the allure of online marketing is about exactly what Steve Martin is saying in his quote. It’s the dream of working less but, making more without putting in very much effort. I think this is a bad idea. It’s bad because it’s undermining our work ethic and because it’s a lie.

Plus, not everyone can be an entrepreneur, right? That’s like saying everyone that goes to Hollywood can be an actor. It’s not reality.

I don’t believe the world works like this and frankly if we want to have a world we better wake up and realize society needs “worker bees.” If you want something you have to work for it – a lot.

So, if you don’t want to be an entrepreneur – that’s okay. In fact, I’m a bit envious because you get to eat lunch with real people…

What’s your opinion? Is there ever any “free lunch?” Can you really work less and make more?

If you enjoyed this post please share it on Twitter, FB or G+. Thank you.

P.S. Check out what’s been keeping me at my desk 24/7 – click here.

P.P.S. “The Intuition Principle Virtual Book Tour” continues this week. Check out these great interviews:

Day 5: http://www.reflectingalife.com/2012/05/18/connecting-to-the-world-wide-web-of-consciousness/

DAy 5: http://rebuildyourlifecoach.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/have-you-got-guts-tune-into-your-intuition-interview-with-angela-artemis/

Day 7: http://www.bigislanddog.com/2012/05/how-to-find-what-you-need-intuition/

Day 8: http://www.victorschueller.com/2012/05/23/you-can-now-possess-the-key-to-finding-your-life-purpose/

Day 9: http://www.arvinddevalia.com/blog/2012/05/23/power-of-intuition/

Comments

comments

search

1. each time i used to read smaller articles that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this
    post which I am reading here.
    handigemensen.nl recently posted..handigemensen.nl

2. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

3. Thanks for talking about this subject! I definitely think online marketers are waaay overhyped. Tim Ferriss claims he works 4 hours a week, but that’s not entirely true. People talk about blurring the lines between work and play, but that’s still work! And definitely not everyone should be an entrepreneur – most of the top online marketers have a team of people working with them, so technically as entrepreneurs they’ve created jobs for people, which goes against what they’re marketing! I do think entrepreneurship is booming because of the bad economy, and it’s good because it does give people more freedom to choose what they want to pursue and talk about. So there are good and bad sides. It’s great to have a little more honesty in the conversation on what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur.

• Hi Lynn,
      I agree that online marketers are way overhyped too. I know Tim Ferriss works way more than four hours per week.
      I hadn’t even thought of that but yes, most top marketers have a team of people working for them. You cannot possibly roll out all these products and programs all by yourself. I struggle to keep up with what I do which is miniscule compared to them.
      I’m glad you enjoyed the post Lynn.
      It’s great to see you here.

4. Everyone must be an entrepreneur goshdangit! ;)

Def not, just kidding. There are certainly perks and downs for both. It just depends on which path you see as having more perks, and more importantly, if you can be content in the moment with your life, no matter if you’re working for someone else, or for yourself.

Love this post A, thanks for putting this out there. Gives me even more resolve to make a difference with my passion for personal development and be sustained by it, too.

As my Dad always say to me “your boss can be a real jerk, huh?” He’s reffering to me working for myself of course, and slave driving when I have deadlines for projects, etc.

When I had a job I was always the one who’d stay late and the one they’d want to promote when I worked in info tech, and though I was paid well, and promoted and supported, it never quite resonated with my soul, and I though “well why can’t I do this for myself?” If other people can do what they love and be successful, then so can I. It’s just a matter of persevering and not letting the fear get ya down! And fear will come up constantly, especially when venturing into territory uncharted for oneself. It’s amazing how false fear is, and the barriers it can create if not put in check.

Now I’m much poorer than when I had my big city job, but doing what I love, and though it’s much harder than working a job and having that steady paycheck, there’s really no going back for me. I guess I am the kind of person that wants that freedom of choice in order to express myself through what I do.
    David Hamilton | Everlution recently posted..Conditional Vs. Unconditional Happiness Part 1: Why It’s Difficult to Be Happy

• David,
      That’s it! You’re so much happier there is no going back.
      One of the things that I wanted to put out “there” was that you do have to work much harder when you build your own business.
      Also, that it’s not a get rich quick scheme either and that you may have to accept that you will make much less than you did before
      Thank you so much for visiting and sharing with us here.

5. Here is a link I hope you will all enjoy related to the fact so many of us are finding living 24/7 hours at the computer unsustainable. The big picture. We need to find new ways healthy to our minds, bodies, souls.

ttp://moneyandlifemovie.com/

6. Well, where have I been? I’m always late to reading new posts. So glad I didn’t miss this one, tho — what a great post, Angela! Love your tone. No sugar coating here and I find it really refreshing. I was discussing this very thing with my husband today. I don’t even work that many hours but the quality of working online is very different than when I was a software developer with “real” people, ha ha! I worked a lot but am reminded of your post about when you wrote your AMAZING book in one weekend — the energy and stimulation of working with other people can make a huge and positive difference. I’m rambling. I mostly mean to say bravo for spittin’ it out. And thank you for it too. It helps me get a perspective on where I am with this. I do agree with other commenters tho that it is really cool to get to know people all over the world, and I have been pleasantly surprised to meet so many who’ve touched my life and heart in such a good way — you included. Thanks again for sharing this and I’ll be watching. :-b
    Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being recently posted..What Consciousness Technology Is Not

• Hi Patti,
      Yes, the one great advantage to being an online business/blogger is meeting people from all over the world – like you!
      The downside is that we work way too many hours. There has to be a way to balance it all and still have an offline life.
      I don’t think its healthy even if we do enjoy it.

7. Hi Angela — I appreciate what you say here — it resonates with me because, for me, the focus has really shifted from maximizing my online income or something like that to just having fun and using my “web presence” in the service of me having fun. That’s actually what inspired me to start writing again, so it seems like the right approach.
    Chris Edgar recently posted..Of Guilt, Gears and the Confusing Path to Inspiration

• Hi Chris,
      I hear you loud and clear.
      I too feel that when we take all this blogging so seriously it takes the joy out of it and it’s no longer fun.
      But that said, some people swear they love and wouldn’t do anything else.
      It’s really a matter of preference based upon your personality.
      I’m glad you’re having fun again!

8. Great, great post… it so resonated with me. I work for myself. My blogs drive my business.. through consulting and product sales. I do find that when I work really hard I get better results but like your other readers, I work ALL the time. I feel guilty if I take a lunch break, you know, the ones without a computer, where you sit out in the sun and read a book, like normal office workers, who get an hour for lunch every day? I keep my overheads low so I warehouse from a shed. I chat to the reps who drive in to the warehouse to collect their sales paraphernalia. I am jealous of their regular paycheques. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am free to be a Mum to my boys. I get to pick them up from school every day. I start late sometimes. I’m getting there. I love the element of surprise in my work…. something always exciting happens, big sales or great appointments or a great contra deal. I love not knowing what’s next. Being trapped in a job now would kill me. I feel like I AM living more of a life…. but I work really hard to have it.
    A-M xx

• Hi A-M,
      Welcome!
      You really do need to have a passion for what you’re doing in order to work 24/7 otherwise you cannot keep it up.
      You will need a rest eventually though…
      It’s great to have the flexibility to work the hours you want so you can take care of your boys.
      I think the best of both worlds might be to have a job you can work entirely from home and still draw a full time salary.
      What do you think?

9. Angela, I clicked through Farnoosh’s blog post and am so happy to “meet” you! Fantastic conversation… the answers aren’t black and white for sure. (From every account that I’ve read about Tim Ferriss from “A-list” bloggers who know him, sounds like he works WAYYYYY more than 4 hours a week.)

I find this time in history to be so fascinating as it seems to be an opportunity to rethink Everything. Not just entrepreneur vs employee, but How I want to work and Who I want to be.

For me, working hard is fine however, burn-out is unacceptable. We seem to lose our sense of boundaries (with ourselves!) when we become self-employed. Sure the flexibility is great, but not when it’s at the expense of my well-being! The amount of self-growth and honesty required to discern when I’m dipping too far into reserves has been a huge part of the self-employed adventure.

XO
    ST
    Shawn Tuttle recently posted..What the “Terrible Two Year Olds” Can Teach Us About Living the Life

• Shawn,
      It’s fantastic to meet you. Welcome!
      I’m sure Tim works way more than four hours a week. Plus, once you write a book and it becomes an instantaneous best seller you have a lot of pressure from the publisher to keep it there. You’ve got to speak and promote your books which takes up a lot of time.

I agree. This is a fantastic and fascinating time to be alive for sure.
      I love that you mention that we are able to reassess not only what work we want to do but who we want to be. So true.

We do need to create solid boundaries between work and our other life. Working from home blurs the line into oblivion – at least for me anyway.
      xoxo

10. Oh good Lord, no!

I was a worker bee and it never crossed my mind that there was anything wrong with that. I LOVED having a steady paycheck and health benefits for my family. I never enjoyed working for my entrepreneur husband’s business and it made me queasy to think of how his income was always all over the place. I am built for stability and structure. That’s why it’s been so hard to shift gears these last 2 years to unexpectedly be home 100% of the time, working from home for him and finally for myself, plus that wonderful “flexibility” of having to do everything else all of the time. And, no lunches! No adults! lol

Yes I CAN be at school when needed and I enjoy going to the grocery store when it’s quiet on Monday at 9am, BUT there is no comparison in the income department and it is much harder (although more joyful) work.

Maybe somewhere there is someone who has never worked that hard and made a lot, but probably you can count them on one hand. More often people still work VERY hard and have a history of doing so behind them. I never thought that whole “work for 2 minutes, make $2 million” shtick was anything more than a marketing scheme and a way for the person doing the selling to make money. Although…if the universe wants to help us all get further toward that department, we won’t turn it down, right?!
    Julie | A Clear Sign recently posted..A Book Review of The Intuition Principle By Angela Artemis

• Julie,
      LOL – you know your own mind girl! I was a worker be for 15 years until I became a 100 percent commissioned sales person. I think that was the best of both worlds for me. A compromise.
      I know what you mean about loving having a steady paycheck too.
      Absolutely, there is no comparison in the income department for sure. That’s one of the reasons I wrote the post.
      There is this attitude of late that if you’re not trying to become self-employed your “square.” I think that’s wrong.
      There are pros and cons to both. But, the bottom line is if you can find a profession and a job you like there is absolutely nothing wrong with working for someone else!

I agree – most of the people online pretend to make way more than they make or they have another income source like a spouse who works a steady job.

I won’t turn down money from the Universe either Julie.

By the way thank you – thank you from the bottom of my heart for the wonderful review of my book that you did.

11. It’s amazing the amount of people the 4 hour work week inspired and then ultimately let down.

Being an entrepreneur is HARD work – personally I wouldn’t change it for the world but it’s hard.

Your comment that as an employee you get to eat lunch with real people made me laugh! Yeah, I kinda miss that … but being location independent is hard – I am at my desk 6 days a week – I work crazy hours because of clients being across timezones – but it’s a choice – there is no short cut.

Really thought provoking post (and super reassuring that the feelings I get aren’t me being weird – it’s the nature of the beast!)
    Ameena Falchetto recently posted..Why you need to ignore your competition

• HI Ameena,
      Thank you so much for visiting. It’s a pleasure to meet you.
      Yes, I too found it reassuring to know that I’m not alone in my feelings.
      I love it too but….there are those days I wish I were doing something else.
      I guess that’s to be expected. Nothing is perfect.

I think it depends on what the work is and how well you want to do it. It also has to do with the nature of the work you do. I think that anyone who is passionate about their work is going to put the long hours in, mainly because there is a direct correlation between the hours invested and the return on that investment. For some things, you can’t or don’t care to outsource the work, so that requires time. You can’t just skip steps.

Now, if you are setting up “evergreen” products or programs, then yes, you can set something up and ride it out through an automated process. It takes an investment of time up front, but then obviously the payback occurs the longer you have that program out there. Some people do this and it works out well. Going back to my first statement, it depends on the work you do. If you can set up something that is “evergreen,” then yes, you can get more money out of less time (eventually). If you’re a blogger, and writing new, fresh content is what you do, or an author, and writing is what you do, you can’t shortcut or cut out time. It depends on the work.

Nice post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
    Victor recently posted..Today’s Interview with Betsy Henry – The “Zen Mama”

• Hi Victor,
      Yes, you’re right. If you create an evergreen product – and enough of them you can work less but I would say that unless you keep promoting that product and updating it so it remains relevant your income from that product may start to decrease over time.
      And yes again – if we are constantly creating fresh content like blog posts there is no shortcut.
      I’m glad you enjoyed the post.

13. There is a big discussion about what value is and how this relates to money.

Entrepreneurialism is about spotting opportunities and exploiting them. I think some people are good at this just as some people are naturally good at everything else.

Just about every entrepreneur relies on lots of other people – usually employees – sometimes collaboration with other entrepreneurs.

I think much confusion would be avoided if we replaced ‘self-employed’ with ‘customer employed’.

• Hi Evan,
      Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your insights with us.
      So, what you’re saying is that being “customer employed” is something entirely different from being “self employed?”
      Thank you for clarifying this!~

14. I loved the article and the comments, especially Aileen’s. I blogged for quite awhile before I even knew that people made money doing it–ha! I think there are some amazing success stories out there, and always have been. Rags to riches is the American way! But not on four hour work weeks and not without some effort. Think about the gold rush miners. Some did strike it rich, but most didn’t.

The promise of something for nothing is what has lured many people to part with their money and give it to the Nigerian scammers. (It started in Nigeria, but has spread now.) Now many Nigerian princes, widows, and ousted power brokers wanted to give me a too good to be true deal?!

I’ve never had the entrepreneurial spirit, but hats off to those who do and make it work. I suspect they worked more than four hours a week, but had fun and a passion for what they did. Like I felt for twenty years at my last job before I retired–I can’t believe someone is paying me to have this much fun!

Great reality check article!!
    Galen Pearl recently posted..Who Would You Meet?

• Hi Galen,
      Yes, Aileen’s comment really resonated with me as well. I think you actually benefited by not knowing that blogging could be monetized and focusing on all the technical aspects of it Galen. I did the opposite for more than a year on my blog by focusing on all the technical aspects of it rather than the writing itself and that took the fun out of it.
      Honestly, I think if you find a job you like that’s great. We don’t all have to be entrepreneurs – and we can’t all be either. Companies and institutions need workers.
      I”m so glad you’re having fun blogging though!

15. Yes, there are all those “overnight” wonders who hit it big. But, just like actors and musicians, they worked their butts off for years, usually decades, to be good enough to get that big break. Most people just aren’t that committed, persistent and patient which is why there are so few of these people out there.

I feel like I’m living the split life: I’m the CFO of two start-up companies, neither of which have an office. Once every week or two we meet at a ranch owned by the owner of the companies. His ranch is close to my home in the mountains so I love the commute and, frankly, it’s the only day of the week I leave the house. This is starting to take up more of my time as the businesses get off the ground.

I’m also developing my online business from which I have not yet generated any money. I have many ideas for programs that I need to take the time to create. Blogging and online research actually take up much of my time.

Everyday, many times a day, I say little ‘thank you’s’ to the Universe for giving me this lifestyle. While more money is always better, all of my dreams are in my present moment. I’m home with my young kids. My time and schedule are my own. I usually don’t open my computer until noon and generally shut it between 5 and 6pm. Just a few months ago I opened it as soon as I got up and didn’t close it until 1 or 2am. I realized how exhausted and stressed I was and how this was interfering with my CFO job and, more importantly, my relationship with my family.

While I have some big goals, I’m getting much better at living in and enjoying the moment, just as it is. I’m also realizing that, if something doesn’t feel good to me, I probably shouldn’t be doing it.

So, in the grand scheme of things, instead of choosing either/or, I like to choose both. :)

• Paige,
      This is great advice! If it doesn’t feel good to you – you probably shouldn’t be doing it.
      I wonder though do you vacillate on what feels good?
      I know for me that some days I love every moment and others I want to throw the computer in the trash and wish I had a “regular life” without all of this nonsense.
      I have a feeling I too need to cut back to what feels good and stop pushing myself. The days I push to hard are the days I wish I had the “regular life.”

16. Oh, wow, Angela, let’s have coffee and discuss it! I just now finished my umpteenth inquiry to Fulfillment By Amazon and I’m so frustrated, because working my way through that labyrinth is like nothing I’ve ever dealt with (and I’m not new to this game of retail).

I’ve been self-employed in one manner or another for almost all my working life. At this point, it isn’t about making a ton of money online, it’s about being able to create new things that will make people’s lives better or more enjoyable. To have an idea and then actually see it manifest is what keeps me going, but yeah, the bills have to be paid, too. Where oh where is that tricky balance, where is that happy medium?

Here’s a summary of my “life”: I wake up, grab my iTouch, check my e-mail. Then I get up for a cup of coffee and pick up my Kindle Fire, start reading relevant blogs, or maybe the most recent book on marketing that I downloaded. I work from home (editor/proofreader) and put in my 8 to 10 hours. When I’m done, I answer e-mails, coordinate with partners on my projects, research materials for my projects, write companies about materials, create graphics relevant to my projects, take photographs of prototypes, prepare photographs for upload or wherever, start a new article for my blog or continue writing one, practice using the latest graphics software on my computer, work on the local town’s website, work on a friend’s website, check Facebook, check Twitter and maybe write a comment on Twitter, do a card reading for a Tuesday or Friday game. When that’s all done, I get on my stair-stepper and read a book on marketing or a blog on my Kindle while I exercise. Then I go to bed and read some more content related to work, or occasionally I’ll choose something entertaining instead.

Am I tired of all this? You bet!! I was on a forum this morning and a woman was asking where can she find business podcasts to listen to on her morning run. And I thought to myself, “Working while you’re jogging, that’s terrible!” But the truth is, I work while I take a coffee break, I work while I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner. My friends have to pry my fingers off the keyboard to get me to go out and do something.

The problem is, once you get something going, you want to see it through. But there’s a part of me emerging that’s saying, “You know what? You did not sign up for this!” I tell myself, “Just keep pushing on for another week and then you can relax.” I’ve been saying that for a year and a half.

I know I’m not the only one racing on the treadmill, and it will be very interesting to read how your other site visitors handle this constant overload of tasks to accomplish. Perhaps if we didn’t have so many opportunities, we wouldn’t overwhelm ourselves with things we want to accomplish.

• Wow Celeste,
      Thank you so much for sharing with us.
      I can totally relate to your comment. Your story sounds very similar to my life. There are just so many things to do when you are trying to get a business off the ground. In the beginning you cannot afford to hire someone so it takes up even more of your time. It does feel like being on a treadmill.
      I can also relate to the feeling that you don’t want to give up on it after you’ve put in so much time and effort.
      There is always that glimmer of hope that if you just stick with it a bit longer it will all pan out.
      I don’t have the answer. I’m in the same boat as you.
      You can give yourself a deadline and then move back into the workforce and keep your business going on the side or you can walk away all together (although I’m sure that would be really painful!) or just keep on going as you’ve been doing and hope that you income increases so you can hire someone to help you.
      It’s a personal choice.
      I don’t know of any other way to handle it.

• Thanks, Angela. It just goes to show that creativity requires as much time and effort as the 9-to-5 job. I’m fortunate to be self-employed and be able to pay the bills as well as fund my projects. I do persevere until it reaches the point of diminishing returns. But it takes a while to get to that point!

I’ll second your advice about bringing someone else on board. Not only does it make your life easier, it’s also a lot more fun to brainstorm. We weren’t put here to do it all alone.
        Celeste recently posted..The Mystery of Getting Close

• Hi Celeste,
          Yes, creativity requires as much if not more effort than the 9 to 5 job.
          If you can afford to hire a virtual assistant it will make your life much easier!

17. I don’t believe the free lunch exists and personally I’d rather choose my lunch and pay for it. I love what Tess said about the real truth needing to be told.

Thanks for being bold enough to begin.
    Sandi Amorim recently posted..How to Shatter Glass With Your Mind

• Hi Sandi,
      I agree – there are no free lunches. We have to work for what we want.
      So glad to have you come and visit and share you opinion here with us.

18. Oh and one more thing. 4 hr. work week even for the ones who can, they don’t. They’re addicted to more and stayin’ on top. Location independents…someone needs to write the real truth about what goes on in those lives. They don’t talk about the downsides…It’s a perfect life if you can’t do relationships. You’re alone and with one night stands or temporary at best until you move on to the next location and the next relationship. But hey to each their own, right?
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..9 Bold and Fearless Tips to Color Your World

• That dream of the four hour work week is so bogus! If you want to keep all those balls in the air you will continue to work more than four hours per week even if you don’t have too – so true!
      I’m not cut out for camping and sleeping on people’s couches. I prefer a nice hotel…so maybe the location independent life style isn’t for me.

I think today more and more people are recognizing the lies of online marketers. Which is a good thing.

I also think that’s it’s our ego that keeps us chasing the dream. The dream of someday…I’ll have enough…someday I’ll be enough…someday I’ll do enough.

If we all stopped and took an inventory of our lives we’d really be forced to see how much we have and how fortunate we are.

I could be a lot further if I worked nights and weekends. I don’t. Because my off line life is more important than my online work.

Even when we get to where we want to be our ego will move the line and off we’ll go again…to have more, to be more, to do more. I think if we’re breathing we’re living the dream. Literally!

• Hi Tess,
      I agree. We need to stop and smell the roses and be grateful for what we do have.
      I’m grateful but questioning if all this effort is really worth it?
      I feel tied to this damn computer all the time.
      Being more and striving for more is very draining as you point out.
      Time to reassess….

I really believe you can have it all and work less. So many people do. We just need to find the key.

21. I think that’s the dream alright!

But I think it really takes a lot of hard work and quite a long time to establish a platform that has an engaged community that will support your entrepreneurial pursuits.

We’ll need perseverance and hard work to get to a point where we work less but make more. We have to design products and services our audience will love. It’s a lot of work but we can start off slowly on the side and we will reach the tipping point eventually where our hard work will all pay off in the end significantly.
    Argee Abadines recently posted..New Kid on the Block: Yakitori-Q

• HI Argee,
      Yes, I agree. It does take a long time until you have an engaged community that will support your entrepreneurial pursuits.
      The best advice is to keep your day job.
      Do this on the side as best you can until you reach the tipping point.
      This way you’re building a business but you still have other income and benefits.

I hear you loud and clear! I’ve gotten so entrenched in the computer.
    I completing I’m trying to take breaks and go back to drinking my coffee without my computer in the morning. I’m trying not to touch it at night when I should be with my family. And I, too, am tired of those emails you’re talking about. I love my computer work but I love the hard work my day job as a teacher more. I love spending time with my family more, too. I’ve never made a ton of money through blogging but I’ve done well with my books. My blogging has been a vehicle to getting those books written.

The bright spot is all the wonderful people to connect to online!

Thank you for saying online what many people are probably thinking! But I hope you still stay online!! I really enjoy what you have to say!
    Betsy at Zen Mama recently posted..21 Ways To Practice Positive Thinking Today!

• Hi Betsy,
      I’m glad to hear that you’re stepping back too.
      I need to make time to live a life off of the computer too!
      I never wanted to be an online entrepreneur. And, like you I wanted to be an author -
      It all needs to be put into perspective.
      xo

23. Amen Sister!
    Speak out loud and say it like it is :)

I’m curious to read other peoples comments over the next couple of days, because I know many will point out that they know some who have accomplished that “dream.”
    G. is still in love with the concept of the 4 hour work week – I simply dream of life balance now.

Many people sell the illusion and highlight the few who “make it.” Loved your comparison to actors – some do make, but most do not. I love that you’ve explored the journey fully, and I believe everyone who hears the call should honor their quest. There’s also a time when one can see things clearly and decide whether or not it’s time to change paths.

Also LOVED your point about ones work ethic too.
    ” making more without putting in very much effort. I think this is a bad idea. It’s bad because it’s undermining our work ethic and because it’s a lie.”

Yes, it is okay if one decides not to be an entrepreneur. There are numerous paths to a happy, well balanced fulfilling life. And it looks different to each individual.

LOVED Reading this!
    Great article you linked to – very true and very common, yet most don’t see the truth just the glitter.

“To thine own self be true”

• Hi Aileen,
      After I spoke with you last week our conversation kept swirling in my mind.
      I couldn’t keep it inside any longer.
      We also discussed how not everyone who moves to Hollywood becomes an actor either!
      Yes, there are some people who are doing the online marketing thing but, I think there are more people working hard for very little return.
      I’ll let you know if anyone brings up any of the so called “success” stories.

Great topic and couldn’t have hit at a better time for me. I’ve been feeling the same way, and glad that you are questioning the hype as well. I don’t believe there is a free lunch. Isn’t an overnight success someone who has been working about twenty years to get there?

I too, read that you could work 4 hours a day and be a success online. Recently I’ve been reading that people are working 18 hours a day running their blogs and businesses. That is quite different. Online work is isolating, and not for everyone. You need to love what you are doing and feel that you have a purpose. Taking lots of breaks to get outside and be with people is important as well.
    Cathy | Treatment Talk recently posted..35 Ways to Help Prevent Your Child From Becoming Addicted Before They are 21

• Hi Cathy,
      Yes, I love that, “Isn’t an overnight success someone who has been working about twenty years to get there?”
      Yes! I think so.
      I also think because the economy has been depressed these last few years millions of people turned to the internet to try to make a living.
      It’s much too crowded now.
      I thank you for the much needed advice to take lots of breaks, get outside and be with people.
      Just what I needed to hear!
      xoxo

25. Great topic for discussion Angela!

I don’t really think I can become a real professional entrepreneur in the real sense, or the kind as you mentioned who are so efficient that they can earn more by working less- though hats-off to those who can manage to do that. I would prefer to work hard to earn my living and have the satisfaction of sleeping peaceful with the thought that I put in my best at whatever I did.

There was a time when I had to go out to work, but then it wasn’t the thing I was wanting to do and my family and kids were getting neglected too. When I left and became a professional freelance writer working from home, things did change a lot for me. But yes, once you are able to chalk out a routine that works best for you, things are easy. And you are able to achieve all that you want to within your set work duration.

Yes, now I find myself working 24×7 but I like the work I do and have the freedom to choose my own time for it. And when I am not working on my projects, I am cooking or doing other household chores, which does take it’s own time. But there’s still a satisfaction at the end of the day for all that you have achieved, which is what matters most – isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing and bringing up this important topic. :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted..Is Parenting Troubled Teenagers a Difficult Task?

• Harleena,
      I too don’t see myself becoming an entrepreneur with a brick and mortar business.
      I’m simply too commitment phobic for that.
      I love the “idea” that I am free to do what I please when I please –
      I enjoy going out for a walk in the middle of the day or running errands and tidying up in the afternoon when I want to take a break
      It is a privilege to be able to do this work. I feel lucky and like you very satisfied when I go to sleep at night.

26. :-) I fondly remember, back in 2005, when I decided to go the freelance route, being told that “all I had to do” was work five hours a day to make a decent income. Oh no. That is the biggest fattest illusion. Once I got started, I found I had to slog to stay in the loop. I loved it, which is why I stuck with it and built a reputation.

No, there are no free lunches. EVER. And whether we admit it or not, we freelancers ARE entrepreneurs, never mind if we want to be one or not. And best of all, there’s no real time off, unless one is so established that one’s diary is booked for the next year or so. We gotta be worker bees all the way to just sustain what we’ve built. And oh yes, we love it :D. So long as we realize that how hard we work is directly proportional to how lucky we are.

:-) I really enjoyed this post.
    Vidya Sury recently posted..My Happy Places

• Vidya,
      I think we all fell into the trap of believing these marketers.
      I don’t think it is easy to make a living on line.
      It’s much harder than having a job and getting a paycheck if you ask me.
      But, we are lucky. Look at how many friends we have all over the world?
      That’s the awesome part!
      xoxo

1. Getting to the Goal: A Message For Those Who Have a Big Dream | Powered by Intuition 23 05 12
  2. Ugly Truths | Entrepreneur | Self-Employment 21 05 12
  3. 5 Secrets to having a Soul Nourishing Digital Sabbatical | *Positive Provocations* 21 05 12