address

Developing Intuition, Identifying Intuition and Getting Unstuck too!

Knowledge has three degrees — opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition. –Plotinus

Questions on intuition developmentToday, I am sharing three brilliant questions on intuition development from readers.

Even if you don’t see your exact intuition development question here you’re sure to find an answer that will apply to your own situation.

1. My life feels stuck. I need change now but, nothing seems to be happening. How can I get guidance from my intuition as to what to do to  get my life moving again?

If you’re life is ‘stuck” and you feel you “need” answers now the best thing to do is to relax as much as possible about it.

The more stressed out and emotional you are over a problem the more difficult you make hearing your inner guidance.

The solution will come when you relax and take your mind off the problem.
Go for walks in nature or do anything that takes your mind off the feeling of being stuck.

Before you go to bed tell yourself that you want an answer to this problem.

Give yourself one week to either have a dream in which the answer comes to you or to discover the solution during the day through a “sign.” Read “Navigating by Intuition” to learn how to identify these hidden signposts.

Signs are always around us, all we need to do is create the intention to become aware of them.

Keep reinforcing that you will get the solution before you go to bed each night.
It might come the next day or it might take the full week.

2. How do I remain truthful to my intuition and not let thoughts get in the middle?

To be truly aware of your inner guidance and not let thoughts get in the way takes practice. In the beginning you are bound to be unsure of yourself. That’s natural. We all want to feel confident and happy about our lives and decisions.

What you need to do is to incorporate hearing your inner voice into your daily life. Make a habit of checking in with your intuitive guidance before making decisions. The more you do this the more experienced you will become at knowing what your intuition feels like for you when it comes through.

For example, you could ask yourself how you feel about certain things that you are unsure about doing in your personal life, relationships or business.

Say, you need to decide whether you will buy a new car or spend more money on repairs on your old one. You’re not sure which is the right course of action to take.

Go somewhere quiet, shut the door and take some deep breaths and relax. Put your palms on your abdomen now ask yourself, “How would I feel if I bought a new car.”

Pay attention. Notice the first thought or feeling you have.

Did you get a pang of fear in your gut? Did you notice a slight feeling of anxiety or shortness of breath? These are physical signs from your body’s intelligence warning you that you are not ready to purchase a new car.

If you feel good with no second thoughts (such as I can’t afford it, it’s not in the budget, I shouldn’t) then you have your answer to proceed with the purchase of the car.

Intuitive guidance is all about feelings and first impressions.

3. Should you always follow your intuition?

Yes, I believe you should always follow your inner guidance, that is if you are sure it was your intuition and not your rational mind posing as your intuition.

I say yes  for two reasons: One, because our inner guidance is always the truth of how we really feel about things in our life.

And, second, because our intuitive flashes is the source of our most original and inspired ideas. Inspiration is never found in the day to day sequential thinking we do. It comes when we least expect it usually while we are doing something else. If you want to live an inspired life rather than you do need to listen to your intuitive hunches. And if you want to do what is “right” for you and not what other people say is right you must be in touch with your intuitive guidance.

Many people hear a thought and attribute it to intuition when it is really their ego or rational mind. The way to tell the difference is to pay close attention to how you feel. If there are any “shoulds” attached to this “intuitive guidance,” it is not coming from your intuition.

Intuition feels inspiring, right and like a “knowing” that resonates with us from deep down inside. Thoughts we confuse as being our inner guidance make us feel as if we “should do it” because there are logical reasons and benefits for doing it.

Say, I have an idea come to me while I’m taking a walk about a new book I want to write. The idea excites me and I can hardly wait to get started researching it.

If it came from my logical mind it would be more on the lines of, “Hmm, I like this idea. This is a really hot topic right now. I could sell a lot books if I moved fast to capture the public’s interest in this….”

Do you see the difference? In the first example I am “inspired” because the idea really resonates with me. In the second example I am being led to do something by what society dictates is a good reason for doing it.

I hope you learned from and enjoyed reading the questions that other readers asked.

What are your questions regarding intuition? Do feel free to ask them right here in the comments section.

If you enjoyed this post please share it on social media. Thank you!

Get free updates and a free gift from me too!

P.S. To learn more about hearing your intuition check out my books on Amazon (The Intuition Primer is a great book for beginners and it’s free to Amazon Prime members).  At Barnes & Noble both online or at one of their stores.

Related articles

Comments

comments

1. Daniel Chijioke Ajogwu

Hello,
    I have read your free chapters of Intuitive Principle and found it very awesome. Every part of my being wants to absorb the whole idea in the book.

It is not possible for me to purchase the book from the Amazon, because my country is not yet on the PayPal list. Moreover I would like to read the whole book without any delay in respect to shipping and other logistics.
    In the light of the above, would you please, make available the PDF version of the book for me to purchase and continue reading.
    I am presently enrolled in your Intuition course – DAILY OM. Low network connection has not allowed me to really enjoy the course. I hope things could get better soon for me to follow up the course.
    I hope to receive your prompt and favourable response.

Thanks.

Daniel
    NIGERIA

2. Pam

Hi Angela,

I have been reading your articles on your site and also have tried the quick start for practicing intuition. It has been a lot of help for me.

I really need your help with this.

How to interpret signs from our intuition? How do I know or confirm I am interpreting the signs correctly?

I am seeing the same signs in different locations and varieties repeating again and again everywhere I go. What could be the reason for signs repeating again and again?

• Pam,
      The signs may be repeating because you’ve not taken action upon them yet.
      Have you taken action? Or, are you still nervous about it?
      Move forward with action and the signs will change to address the next step of your journey.
      I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Pam

Angela,

Thanks for responding.

No, I have not taken any action yet on this as I am not sure if I am interpreting the signs correctly and I have no evidence about the situation and I am very much scared of the outcome. How to follow that?

Why do signs keep repeating even after we have acted on the signs we are getting? Why do they still keep showing up again and again?

• Pam,
          If you are too attached to one specific outcome – in other words you have “tunnel vision” about it and can see nothing else, you will not allow your intuition to guide you to any other solutions. Release your attachment to any solution your thinking mind may have come up with. Surrender to Greater Intelligence/God/Universe and say, “I am blank page – show me the way.”

You must truly detach emotionally and mentally from any expectations whatsoever and wait……then be open to seeing and understanding the sign.

If this is still not helping I would suggest booking a session.

3. What a marvelous job you did covering this topic. Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of “work” on calming my mind, being fully present and listening to the voice within. I’ve always been very logical and analytical, so that part of me is well-practiced. Following the intuition, on the other hand, is a challenge. But it’s a challenge that I welcome and highly value.

Your article did a great job of helping me to feel even more clarity on distinguishing my intuition from my egoic mind. Thank you.

• Nea,
      I’m so happy that you found this article helpful to you. I always try to explain intuition in the simplest way possible.
      I’m so glad that you welcome the challenge of getting in touch with your more intuitive side.
      It’s a pleasure to have you visit and comment – thank you!

4. You know Angela I scored quite high on that test and now I am wondering whether I really am intuitive or did I judge myself wrong while taking that test. I have never thought of myself as an intuitive person and now this is making me change a few thoughts about myself.

I really need to look more into this somehow!
    Hajra recently posted..Will they call you over for a bloggers party?

• Hi Harja,
      I’m so glad you took the test. I truly believe we are all intuitive. Intuition is an important way that we receive information about our environment and it is especially vital for ensuring our safety. You are probably much more intuitive that you think! If you read some of my books you will find out much more!

5. Hmmmm I just helped my daughter with Question 2 (literally with the car, lol!) – The engine blew.
    Anyhow, LOVED this post! Great stuff!
    sheila recently posted..Are You There God? It’s me, Sheila: A New Journey About To Begin

6. I agree, always follow intuition. Even if intuition is telling us to be more mechanical about life. Go with it!
    J. R. Nova recently posted..The Two Yogas

• Thanks J.R.!
      It’s a pleasure having you stop by and comment.

7. Great post Angela! Esp. question 3… always follow your intuition. It seems like when I don’t I pay for it. And when I do “coincidences” seem to happen and all falls into place. Love it!!
    Betsy at Zen Mama recently posted..Sundays In My State ~ Colorado

• Betsy, I think we can all recall times we didn’t follow our intuition and how sorry we were afterwards!

8. When I was in my late 20’s and started to wonder if my corporate life in Boston was all there was to life, my intuition screamed at me. I’ll never forget it. It said, “Go west and do something with horses.” My very logical mind asked, “Where west and what with horses?” And my intuition answered very wisely, “You go figure that out.” And I did. My intuition was so strong on this one that my ego didn’t have a chance. I quit my job, put all my stuff in storage and drove west, wandering for a few weeks. I went with whatever opportunity appeared that fit the “west” and “horses” description. It was the best 2 years of my life at that time. I found my husband and a few passions and now live in Colorado – happily ever after.

I wish my intuition were always that clear. Most of the time I have to get quiet and tune into the subtle feelings in my body. The body never lies.

Angela, thank you for clarifying the difference between our ego/monkey mind and our intuition/heart. It’s easy to fall for the mind’s sneaky ways of keeping us “safe.”
    Paige | simple mindfulness recently posted..What’s On Your Gratitude List Today?

• Paige,
      You are my hero! I wanted to move to New Mexico and live in an adobe home and teach meditation and yoga! I never did it.
      Instead I spent time riding buses, trains and subways to my company headquarters in NYC!
      I love that you followed your intuition like that. How wonderful for you.
      Thank you for sharing that with us.

Thanks for addressing these questions. I certainly connect witht them. I try to take the approach of experiencing the emotional tone of relief. When I feel relief I know I’m in a more connecte place. This often comes from not over thinking a situation as well.
    Joe Wilner recently posted..Are You Going to Cope or Mope? How to Bounce Back from Nearly Anything

• Joe,
      YOu bring out a great point. Relief is another perfectly valid way to experience having connected with your intuition.
      Over thinking will definitely suppress your intuitive voice.

10. Jennifer

I’ve got a question: what happens if you get NO intuition, no bodily feelings, no dreams when you ask for them, nothing about a topic? All you have is a completely neutral/bland feeling?

• Then maybe it’s not time for that topic.

Or perhaps your ego/monkey mind is working hard to dampen any feelings in an attempt to keep you “safe.”

• That’s it. It is the ego trying to protect its power base and what our rational mind considers safe.

• Jennifer,
      I would say you are blocking your intuition.
      There must be some deep underlying fear of taking control of your own decision-making process there.
      Also, if the person is on any mood altering medication for anxiety or depression this will suppress the intuitive voice as well.
      The best thing for this person to do is begin meditating to discover what fears might be suppressing their intuition.

I love your explanation to really listen to our bodies. In this fast paced, pressured world we live in, we can make quick decisions, which we regret later because we have not listened to what our bodies are telling us. Our intuition is very subtle and we do need those quiet moments to access it. Thanks for another enlightening post.
    Cathy | Treatment Talk recently posted..Let Go of Your Bad Habits and Find Your Passion

• Cathy,
      I’m so glad you enjoyed this post. I love answering reader’s questions.
      It’s one of my favorite types of posts.

12. I remember the great Rabindranath Tagore’s verse here. My Mom framed this and kept it where she could see it every day. We did not have an easy life, Angela – but we overcame our life’s challenges and resisted people’s not-so-niceness by being strong. I owe my strength to my Mother. And she believed in precisely the philosophy about Intuition that you describe. I am guilty of making fun of it sometimes – long long ago when I did not know better. But now I do. :-) I think that’s why I am drawn to you. I loved this post.

Please allow me to quote Tagore’s verse:

“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
    Where knowledge is free
    Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
    By narrow domestic walls
    Where words come out from the depth of truth
    Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
    Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
    Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
    Where the mind is led forward by thee
    Into ever-widening thought and action
    Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.”

Thanks again, Angela.
    Vidya Sury recently posted..Sunday In My City – Vishwa Shanti Ashram 1

• Vidya,
      OMG, that is soo beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful poetry of Tagore here.
      xoxo

13. I always love confirmation and what you write is just that for me.

Intuition has played a big role in most of my life. Still, there are times I doubt when I should not, or ignore because the “norm” says there should be some other criteria.

Mahalo for these thoughts today.
    Jt Clough | Big Island Dog recently posted..The Reflection of Dislike

• Hi Jt,
      I’m so glad you found this post confirmed your “hunches” about intuition!
      Doubt, is a big intuition killer and very common. I experience doubt too!
      We have to keep practicing and we will overcome those doubts.

1. Treatment Talk – Treatment Talk Monthly Message - January 2012 15 11 12
  2. The Secret to Reading, Following and Creating Synchronicity and Signs | Powered by Intuition 06 07 12
  3. 6 Reasons Not to Panic When You Don't Hear Your Intuition | Powered by Intuition 24 06 12
  4. Why "Saying Yes to Change" Is Good For The Soul | Powered by Intuition 27 04 12
  5. 25 Great Intuition Quotes | Powered by Intuition 26 04 12
  6. Intuition: How To Know If You're Getting a Sign | Powered by Intuition 21 04 12
  7. What are You Waiting For? Stop Waiting. | Self Improvement Saga 21 02 12
  8. TreatmentTalk – Treatment Talk Monthly Message - January 2012 01 02 12
  9. How to lovingly support someone who is experiencing Hopelessness and Depression « *POSITIVE PROVOCATIONS* 31 01 12