podcast
tour

Crossing Over: What Happens When You Die?

Have you ever wondered what happens when you die?

Or, what it would be like to say good bye to your body and “cross over?”

Over 80 percent of the American population believes in life after death so, it’s likely that this question has crossed the minds of many.

In recent years, numerous doctors have come forward to recount how patients recall what was going on in the operating room during the time patients were pronounced “clinically dead.”

Does our consciousness survive physical death?

For a person to return from a near death experience knowing what took place in the operating room while their brain had stopped functioning, “consciousness” has to survive apart from the body.

As a medium, I already believe this since hearing from those who’ve crossed over and shed their bodies permanently is what mediums do. I’m am eagerly awaiting the day science discovers a way to explain these communications with the next dimension in a laboratory setting.

Myths about afterlife communication

Mediumship communication isn’t like what you see on television though, where the medium is bombarded on a daily basis by troubled souls needing help. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. I only “hear” from people’s loved ones on the day they’ve scheduled a reading.

Usually their messages are about still loving the people who were in their lives and reassuring them that they are still around and able to and have observed the big events, such as weddings and births that have taken place after they were gone.

Since mediumship communication is such a rare opportunity and one that spirits don’t get all that often, they won’t usually take up valuable time in the reading to expound on what it was like to die. After my father passed, he described his crossing over through a fellow medium simply as a “fantastic ride,” which made me even more curious.

Are out of body experiences similar to crossing over?

I don’t practice astral projection, or what is called “out of body travel” either – which I would imagine is the closest thing we could equate to “crossing over.” I have found myself out of my body on many occasions though, and it has always happened spontaneously.

One night, not long after my father passed, I lay in bed wondering if there were any way I could be shown what happens when we die. I assumed, if anything occurred at all, that I’d receive a clairvoyant vision of what my father had seen when he crossed over.

What happened next blew me away

No sooner had  I closed my eyes when I saw this unbelievably bright green phosphorescent light swirling and curving in an undulating wave across my eyelids from left to right.

Then another light came in from the other direction going right to left, but this time it was a phosphorescent pink and it too was arching and rolling around into a spiral.

After that came another light that was  bright gold and it too curved around into a spiral. Next came two other phosphorescent swirls of light, one  purple and the other blue.

Was I seeing the Northern Lights?

The first colored swirls undulated more slowly so, I was able to observe them in more detail. They reminded me a bit of photos I’d seen of the Northern Lights in Alaska.

After the first few though, the next set of colors and swirls came in so fast I couldn’t keep track of their colors and direction any longer. It was as if I was watching them being woven together to create something – what I didn’t know.

I suddenly became aware that I was hearing a buzzing, whirring or rushing sound as if I was flying in aircraft. It also seemed that I was seeing the growing mass of undulating lights right through my eyelids. I noticed that I was also “seeing” the walls and armoire across from my bed at the same time, yet I knew my eyes were closed.

Astral projecting through space

Then my bedroom furniture and walls I had been seeing were no longer there and it appeared that I was somewhere out in the blackness of space. I also felt that I was no longer in my body but, having an out of body experience. I was only aware of what I was seeing and of a strong pulling sensation from my solar plexus and rushing sound.

Is it a tunnel or a wormhole to another dimension?

At this point the lights I’d been watching all flowed together and curved into a telescope shape that extended far into space. I  realized it was a tunnel. Or, perhaps it what astro-physicists might call a wormhole?

It seemed as if I’d been watching this all happen from a great distance but once the lights formed into this “tunnel” I started moving toward it, or rather was pulled toward it, at an incredible speed. At the rate I was moving all the lights or stars in the blackness I was passing blurred into streaks as I passed them.

I lost all awareness of my body. The mouth of this luminous tunnel got larger and larger as I hurdled through space toward it at what felt like the speed of light.

I was getting closer and closer and closer and just about to enter the tunnel when I was stopped short at the mouth of the tunnel. I felt the incredible pull in my solar plexus stop – just like that.

At the moment I arrived  at the entrance to the tunnel it dawned on me that I couldn’t go any further. My sense was that the tunnel was an entrance to another dimension.

I “knew” instantly that entering the tunnel was reserved for those who were leaving the physical dimension behind forever– and in that instant I was flung back down and back into my body. I felt as if I’d been dropped onto my bed from a great height.

Then everything stopped

The moment ‘my spirit self’ hit the bed I felt the jolt in my body and everything disappeared. I could no longer see the lights or the tunnel. They had vanished.

I opened my eyes and realized my heart was pounding and that I was breathing very quickly. I looked around. Everything looked completely normal in my bedroom. I reached for the pad on my nightstand and recorded every detail of my “journey.”

I wished I could have gone through the tunnel to see what was on the “other side.” It was that amazing. My words here don’t do justice to what I experienced at all.

Making sense of an out of body experience

As I said, I have experienced astral projection before and the sense that I was separated from my body and traveling at a great speed through the darkness of space. I have never seen anything like those lights that formed into the tunnel before though.

I feel that I was shown what it’s like to be pulled toward the spiritual dimension. I guess the only way I’ll ever know if this was accurate is to make the final journey myself. I’m not ready to that yet so, the jury will have to remain in deliberations until that day arrives.

Have you ever had an out of body experience like this? What do you think this was? What do you think happens after we die?

If you enjoyed this post please show your support by sharing on Twitter, FB or Google+1. Thank you!

P.S. Learn how to develop your intuition. Click here to check out my book, “The Intuition Principle.”

Related articles

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

comments

home

1. That’s incredible, Angela! I have not had any OBE or near-death experiences. But I have experienced something similar to you describing the Northern Lights while meditating.

I just read a book about near-death experiences and nearly everyone’s account is very similar. It’s interesting to me that we’ve all experienced this many times (dying/crossing over in previous incarnations) and yet don’t remember it on a conscious level.

• Hi Lindsay,
      How are you? Really? That’s so cool. Those Northern Light things were unbelievable! When I first started to open up psychically everyone told me I was going to see all these “colors.” I never did! I just saw inside people’s houses and landscapes that I “flew” over.

Maybe we’re not supposed to remember so far back so we don’t pine so much for the freedom of living in the spirit? It’s much easier to live in the spirit world than to be a human being on the earth plane.

2. Wow! what an experience! as I was reading it, the part you mention where you were ” flung back down and back into my body. I felt as if I’d been dropped onto my bed from a great height.” reminded me of the numerous times where I have suddenly woken up from my sleep following a sensation of abrupt ‘falling’ and waking up just before I hit the ground…but I don’t recall any specific dream before that…could this be something similar? could I perhaps have had an OBE without consciously recallling it? I’ve always wanted to have an OBE and remember it. What can I do to achieve this experience?
    thanks
    Lena

• Hi Lena,
      Yes, absolutely. We travel outside of our bodies when we sleep quite often. It’s a way of connecting back to the spirit world which is our source. That feeling of hitting the bed as you drop back into your body is a definite sign that you’ve been astral traveling. You can program yourself to be awake for one of your astral travels. Keep reinforcing this intention each night before you sleep. When you lie in bed become very relaxed and place your attention on the top of your head. Bring your awareness to this area and envision yourself “coming out of your body.” If you do this enough you’ll eventually lose awareness of your body and pop out of your body. I used to do this when I was a teenager and succeeded one night when I was 17 and scared the life out of myself!

3. I’ve had a couple of experiences, the most notable happening while I was fly fishing. This was almost 3 years ago.

There was no sense of time passing, yet I was watching my actions below, the casting and retrieving of the line. The sensation of total knowing was amazing. I did not “ask” any questions, as I knew what the answers would be the moment I asked them. Strange not to follow through and “ask” to know, but I knew I had the answers already. There was total peace, serenity and comfort; like that of being around family and friends, though I don’t have any recollection of being around others, or sensing their presences.

The entire session was amazing, and didn’t last very long in earth time, but I felt I was “out” for quite a while. Came back into my body/being as a fish took the fly of the surface.

I look forward to the next trip.

• Dean,
      Your trip sounds amazing. I know that feeling you’re referring to as well. It’s the most awesome serene peace I’ve ever felt. Looking down on yourself fishing must have so surreal. If you create the intention to have another “trip” you will eventually do it. Happy travels. Thanks so much for coming by and sharing this wonderful comment with us.

4. You know Angela…every time I have had an obe or astral projection, they have all been spontaneous even though I have had friends who practice astral projection at will. I have also asked the angels to assist with going through projections and I have found myself out of body — seeing my physical body laying there. When I realize that I am out…I automatically love to float and fly! So that’s what I do. I was told by someone to just “fall back” because when that happens you will start to travel through the worm hole. So last time i had a projection, i fell back…and then saw nothing but blackness, as if I was looking up at a black ceiling. I stopped traveling and saw i was still in my room…(and i almost got disappointed) but that is when I started walking in a mall like setting and met up with some man sitting down at a table. That’s when everything went more like lucid dreaming and then I popped back in my body and wrote my experience down. I asked the angels if it is in my highest interest in my journey to try to do this at will (because i love it when it happens)…and the message I received was that I am growing and allow things to happen when it happens. Thank you for this article :)

• Hi Kenya,
      Wow, what interesting obes you’ve had. I stopped trying to do this when I was in my early 20s when I opened up clairvoyantly and just started “seeing.” I don’t practice it at all now. It happens on its own once in a while before I sleep. I’m sure it happens while I’m asleep a lot though. I can see the value in it though, if that’s a way to connect with your guides to receive answers and guidance. I think your guides are right. It will develop for you naturally if that is the path that is best for you to use for your development.Keep me posted on your next trip to the mall. Very cool stuff Kenya!

5. Yes Angela, there is life after death even though our mind/ego has trouble with the idea. I have had astral projection and out of body experiences before and also experienced lucid dreaming as well.

My first OBE had me floating like I was sitting in a chair, I was taking a nap on my couch in the basement. I floated out of the back door, up and over my privacy fence and down the road I went.

I recalled the different things that I saw while Out of body. I checked the next day to verify what I saw and everything was accurate.

• Hi Justin,
      I’m with you. I know that life continues after we shed our bodies.
      What an amazing trip you took during your nap! I know that feeling of “sitting in a chair.” I wonder why we feel that when we are lying down? It’s so amazing that our consciousness can travel without our bodies, isn’t it? I don’t practice lucid dreaming either. I tried when I was younger but, never had much success with it. I’ve had some lucid dreams though – not often – and it is amazing to “know” you’re in a dream. Very cool stuff you got going on Justin!

6. I have had a life-between-lives regression therapy previously and had shared in on my blog some 2 years ago. I was therefore very interested to read if your account corresponded to my experience. It did – with the fast moving tunnel, drawn to lights and then tunnel coming to an end. I had started my session by being regressed to the life before this. It began with the death scene and I entered into the tunnel. Then, I met my spirit guide at the end of the tunnel. There were many stops that I went though and the session finally ended with “seeing” myself being birthed in this lifetime. All in all, it was a 2-3 hour adventure.

It had felt surreal back then. Now when I look back, I sometimes have some niggling thought about whether it is just a fantasy. I guess I will never know until the time comes.

• Hi Evelyn,
      I’ve had past life regression work in the past. I found it fascinating too. It was probably around 1989 that I did it. I too felt as if I was making it up. I remember looking down at my body in one of the three lives I explored and seeing that my skin was a different color. It was pretty amazing. I know now that I wasn’t making it up. The images were too surprising and like nothing I’d ever contemplated before. Your experience sounds amazing in that you saw yourself being born. How cool is that? Wow!

7. Hello Angela! I have a very unforgettable experience when I was a teenager. I saw my own body sleeping at my bed! Also, it was so peaceful, a certain kind of quiet that is so unlike any kind of quietness I’ve experienced before. It was peaceful, but it was not like all sound had been muted. There also seemed to be a soft light all around me, and one bright like that seems to be coming from my window that didn’t blind my eyes at all. I thought of exploring and seeing what was beyond the window, but then I sort of felt I may never return, so I just tried to return to my body. To my surprise however, I was not able to return so easily. I thought that after lying down where my body was, I could then enter my body. But then as I sat, I saw that my body was still lying down asleep. It was then that I prayed that I still wanted to live. After that, I was able to awaken and continue living the life I have today. ;) It’s really a mystery what happens in life, but we trust in the good God who makes all things beautiful and great!

• Hi Joyce,
      That is an amazing experience! When you think back on it now is it still just as vivid as if it happened yesterday? I had a similar one when I was 17 and saw myself asleep on the bed. I panicked when I couldn’t easily get right back into my body! My fear made my body start convulsing right in front of me and I panicked further! I was certainly glad when I had the bright idea to throw myself off the bed in order to reconnect with my body. I know how you must have felt.

• Yeah, truly an unforgettable moment! Years after that, I had two more similar experiences. I didn’t have as much difficulty though in trying to re-connect again, tried not to panic so much as before ;)

• Hi Joyce,
          I wonder if there are any studies on the percentages of spontaneous OBEs for teenagers? I’m curious as to whether it might be related to all the hormones that are being released? I had the spontaneous OBEs happening from the time I was 17 until I was about 26 then they became less frequent.

I believe our spirit carries on after our present body “fades”. I have no proof however I still feel that it is logical. Can’t say I’ve had experiences out of body (though if I did I didn’t realise it) but I’ve had plenty of experiences in my body & hopefully more are to come. OBE’s must be blast though.
    be good to yourself
    David

9. Angela – this is really fascinating! I have never had an experience like this – what’s really interesting is about two years ago I heard a very similar description. The only difference was the person had a bad fall while hiking and at the tunnel felt a feeling of ‘this is so nice’ with a tiny feeling to turn around and walk away. He awoke while the paramedics where working on him.

• Hi David,
      I certainly agree with you that our soul continues on after out body fades. OBEs can be exciting and scary too. I’m not a regular “traveler” though. It happens on its own when it wants to. I hope you get to experience it some day though.

• Hi Aileen,
      It sounds like your friend left his body after the fall. He saw the tunnel but knew it wasn’t his time yet. I find all this so incredible because we all basically see similar things!

10. I had the most glorious OBE when I was around 21 years of age. It was raining outside and I took a short nap. The next thing I know my spirit was floating to the top of the clouds. I could feel the raindrops hit my astral spirit body, it was a surreal feeling the way I could feel the raindrops with a different level of intensity. I go up to the sky pass the clouds, and here a choir of angels singing in the most perfect pitch songs of praise and glory to God. =)

While I’ve never had an out of body experience, I believe when we die our souls separate from our bodies and move to a brilliant light. The light takes us to a place where our souls rest until they are ready to come back again.

Alex

• Hi Alex,
      I agree with you. I do think we move toward a brilliant light that is a portal to another dimension where we exist without a physical body. When we decide we need more “schooling” we come back and do it again!

12. Thanks for sharing, Angela. I believe we lived many lifetimes and have many many more to go. Death is not an end but new beginning. I like to think that once I die I’ll look down and say “whew! that was interesting – let me try something completely different this time!” This is also a great reminder to stop taking life so darn seriously and stop taking things so personally.

• Hi Rob,
      I agree. I think we reincarnate numerous times to learn in “the school of life.”

I also agree – we should try to make life more fun and not be so serious about things all the time. When we have shed our bodies I’m sure from that perspective we can see how we blew so many things out of proportion!

Nope never had an out of body experience. It’s probably because I don’t want one! I think your experience needs to be named by you alone. Also I believe in other life times. I don’t want to come back as a human. I’d rather be a spirit helping others…a guardian angel?

• Hi Tess,
      Your so busy all day – I think you’re body is too tired to have an out of body experience at night! LOL

I believe that if you wish not to reincarnate you can opt to do service for others instead from the spiritual dimension so, becoming a guide for a human is definitely an option.

That is a fascinating story! I can’t imagine how exciting that must have been. I’ve had a few out of body experiences or what seemed to be where I was flying. But I could have been dreaming. Still it felt different than dreaming. It was very vivid, in color and so fun!!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Betsy,
      If they felt different than your normal dream then you were definitely having an OBE. Everyone does even if they don’t consciously remember them or may think they were only dreams. I’ve read somewhere that it’s because we communicate with our guides in the spiritual dimension at that time.

remarkable eperience. I have had somehting like this but in a dream. Not exactly as what you experienced.Can this happen through a dream?

• Hi Rosemarie,
      Yes, it was unbelievable. Absolutely! We leave our bodies often during our sleep time.

16. Dearest Angela,
    I was gripped while reading your OBE….fascinating how you describe it cause I felt like I was right there with you :)
    I have had my share of OBEs, sometimes unconsciously…but lately consciously. I can get into meditation and boom I’m floating .. Mostly around the earth. Like as if looking at it from so so far. Many times there will be little red hearts that will glimmer on earth, as if calling for me to send them some love or healing.
    There are times I kind of hang out in that outer space place, cause it feel so light and good. But the whirling lights…I’ve seen only white and electric blue lights…whooshing in and around me. Sheesh i’m getting goose flesh just typing this down for the first time ever.
    I rarely discuss these experiences…but couldn’t hold back today after your invigorating post and experience.
    I do believe in life after death. I love the continuity our souls possess and how many more dimensions there are to this existence of ours. Embracing that makes for magical living na…
    Thank you for sharing your experience here…and one day soon I’ll call on the medium in you :)
    Lots of love,
    Z~

• Hi Zeenat,
      How nice of you to visit. Yes, it was one of the most exciting trips I’ve ever taken. I do feel that my father or my guides heard me and helped me to take this little trip. Seeing that tunnel form right “before my eyes” was magnificent. I was given the impression that that when we die the “wormhole” to cross over into another dimension appears and, that’s what I was being shown. Anyway, I love that in your OBEs your floating in the outer atmosphere looking at the earth and seeing “red hearts.” That is so beautiful. I’d love to help you connect to someone on the other side. I look forward to hearing from you.

17. Angela, what an interesting story. Thank you for sharing. I have never experience being outside of my body. Well, I guess that I should say that I do not recall ever being outside of my body, but I have a good friend from college sharing her story of being outside of her body on numerous occasions during the age of 13 and since then, she never had that experience since. What impressed me about her story was that she is the most skeptical person whom you could meet and she has an analytical outlook in life (it has always been this way with her) as she is an engineer.

The beauty of hearing about these experiences is inspiration. It calls us to remember that the universe is greater than who we are and that we are on a journey.

• Hi Ajen,
      I’m glad you enjoyed this post. It was a most thrilling experience for me. Your friend sounds interesting. It seems she has spontaneous OBEs. That should make a believer out of her, no?

18. Holy crap, Angela!

That is amazing. A couple years ago, I would have immediately doubted such an occurrence, but after I started some spontaneous astral projection myself, I can no longer doubt such things.

What an incredible journey that must’ve been. I wonder what connection the Northern lights has with everything? Maybe there’s more to those lights that we all think.
    Fred Tracy recently posted..Opinions Are Like Assholes (Especially from Strangers)

1. What is Psychic Amnesia? | Powered by Intuition 11 12 11
  2. Do Mediumship Readings Differ From Psychic Readings? | Powered by Intuition 03 04 12
  3. Resurrection: Do We Rise Again? | Powered by Intuition 06 04 12
  4. Is Spirit Communication Real? | Powered by Intuition 12 07 12
  5. Immortality: UC Riverside Gets $5M to Study -What Happens After We Die? | Powered by Intuition 05 08 12
  6. Is The Spirit World Real? The Forever Family Foundation Annual Conference | Powered by Intuition 18 11 12