They say every cloud has a silver lining
Foreclosures, short sales, job losses – you name it. No one would deny we’re in a down cycle.
However, there’s one very important thing about hitting bottom – once you’re there you’ve got a foundation beneath your feet again that you can rise from.
You’ve stopped falling and can now reassess and retool, and regroup and rebuild.
Once you’ve hit bottom – there’s no where to go but up.
The worst is behind you. Sure, the way down is no fun. You scramble to hold onto the shreds of your life as it crumbles beneath you.
We fight – we claw and try anything to keep our lives together – the lives we knew that were our security blankets. For many once the chain of events for the downfall is set in motion – it can be nearly impossible to stop.
Some of us unknowingly set up this downfall long before it happened.
Many people were living lives the way they thought they were “supposed to” rather than how they truly wished to live deep down in their souls.
Once they attained the “dream” according to societal standards they found they weren’t satisfied. Their lives still felt empty and unfulfilled. The trappings of success they’d yearned for were just that – trappings trapping them.
How do you back away from the trappings of success?
This is where our inner beliefs and true desires come in as a driving force behind our downfall. Over time the yearnings of our souls become stronger until they permeate and undermine the life we have and line up events that create the demise of our life as we know it. We may not want to believe that at first, but with time we see this truth.
Our first reaction is to resist what’s happening
At the first signs of this crash we try anything to keep things going, but after the dust settles we realize deep down this is the escape we wished for. It might have been messier and more painful than what we would have liked, but still it allowed us to exit from a life that no longer suited us.
Hitting bottom frees us
When we hit bottom we’re free to reinvent ourselves and our life. That’s a pretty enticing prospect. Freedom. Just think about that word for a minute….
What does the word freedom conjure up for you?
For me the word freedom means that I can be more of who I really am. I no longer have to pretend that I’m happy in a life that no longer suits me. I’m free to start rebuilding my life around the things that I have a passion for.
Hitting bottom can be the best thing that ever happened to you. Really!
Here’s a list of some of the hidden advantages of hitting bottom.
1. You get to start over – the sky is the limit.
2. You can walk away from the things you never really liked doing in the first place
3. It may entail reducing possessions which makes you feel so much freer anyway.
4. You get to downsize your life – and your overhead.
5. The money you do make will go much farther now.
6. Life feels a bit simpler
7. You will see the beauty in less is more
8. After the fall, you will really value the people who supported you through tough times. The fair weather friends will be long gone.
9. You can make a very real distinction, based on having been to hell and back, about what’s truly important in life after all.
10. You can take time to see what feels right to you, rather than having to stay on the treadmill to keep everything going.
11. You might now be able to go back to school.
12. You can explore many different career options by offering yourself as an intern.
13. It gives you time to write that book.
14. The more distance you put between yourself and your old life the clearer your mind becomes.
15. The time may be ripe to start your own business.
16. That year you dreamed of taking off and traveling has arrived.
17. Without the constant yoke of the rat race you’re finally able to hear the voice of your intuition.
18. You wake up excited about the possibilities before you.
19. Your life feels like a blank canvass.
20. You can move to that special place that’s always called to you.
21. You get to build more confidence in yourself as you take new steps in new ventures.
22. You stretch and grow in ways you never thought you would.
23. You find out you like change, and you love challenge too.
24. You realize your old life was weighing you down and reigning in your talents.
25. You can be a totally new person – the one you only dreamed of becoming.
If you’re feeling that your life is in a tail spin take heart – it will get better.
Know that you will survive. The worst thing that can happen is allowing defeats to keep us down and at the bottom. Choose to see the vast opportunities open to you instead and listen to you heart and gut and let them lead you to the next door of opportunity. It’s there just waiting for you.
What’s your take on life after a downfall? Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? What would you do if you had the opportunity to start over?
If you enjoyed this article please subscribe and share on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you.
Powered by Facebook Comments