Intuition, Meditation & Creativity: Luscious Links from A Tribal Minx

It’s time to spread those luscious links of knowledge again.

My collection of links to fascinating articles on Intuition, Meditation and Creativity are ripe and ready for picking.

One of my favorite links in this collection is about how our bodies’ intelligence registers future events long before we’re consciously aware of them. Studies using volunteer gamblers showed that changes in bodily responses indicated that the body was aware and registering the winning deck of cards before the participants could know the outcome.

Once we learn to “read” the signals from our body we can tap into our intuitive intelligence to gather more information about any situation we face in our lives. Having more information will lead us to make better decisions and lead better lives. What could be more useful?

I hope you enjoy the links and find them as fascinating as I did.

Intuition:

Psychology professor at Cornell has his findings on precognition published in a scientific journal. After 8 years of study professor’s experiments with students show that they were able to predict correctly 53 percent of the time.

Risk takers score much higher in ESP testing: Risk takers could predict erotic computer images an astonishing 57.6% of the time. Statistically speaking, there’s a 99% chance that this finding could not be due to chance.

Scientists uncover a neural connection for expert intuition studying brain imaging of Shogi players. Expertise in game playing allows players to quickly perceive board patterns and generate moves without conscious thought.

You can learn to be a “mentalist” like the character on the TV show: Increase your brainpower, or learn if someone is lying or telling the truth, and improve memory – all of these things can be accomplished by anyone, says renowned magician and mentalist Simon Winthrop.

Scientific study done using volunteer gamblers confirmed previous observations that bodily responses signal new knowledge (such as the identity of a profitable deck of cards) before players are consciously aware of it.

Meditation:

You can change your brain structure: Researchers have found 8-weeks of mindfulness meditation may induce lasting changes in brain structure, improving emotional regulation, cognition and empathy

Meditation has real world benefits: Regular meditation creates greater satisfaction with life, a greater level of compassion and decreased levels of stress.

Meditation helps boost memory: Participants spending an average of 27 minutes each day meditating showed increased gray matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory, and in structures associated with self awareness, compassion and introspection.

Regular meditation shrinks part of brain responsible governing anxiety and stress. Just 28 hours of meditation spread out over 8 weeks was enough to decrease the density of the amygdala.

Risk takers score much higher in ESP testing: Risk takers could predict the erotic computer images an astonishing 57.6% of the time. Statistically speaking, there’s a 99% chance that this finding could not be due to chance.

Creativity:

A cap that stimulates creativity: Scientists are developing a ‘thinking cap’ that could turn that could unlock the amazing potential of the human brain.

Lowering inhibitions may increase creativity: Scientist studying the effects of improvising lyrics on musician’s brains found that it decreased inhibitions by slowing down the activity in a region of the brain known as the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.

Innovation gap exists in the perception of US youth aged 16 – 25: Many young women and men considering themselves to be “creative” do not also perceive themselves as inventive. Lack of innovation will negatively impact growth of US economy.

Which one of these links did you find most interesting? Were you upset as I was about the “innovation gap?” Will you be trying some free form riffing to get your creativity stoked?

If you enjoyed this article please subscribe and share it on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you!

Comments

comments

i really like the idea of risk takers and lowering inhibitions as a means of tapping into intuition. It’s what kids do. they have few inhibitions and that is why they can tap into creativity better than adults. Do you agree?

• Angela Artemis

Yes, I loved those two articles as well. It’s true kids aren’t self conscious and allow all these ideas to bubble up without censoring them. The idea of being a risk taker makes sense to me too. If you always “play it safe” you’ll also be constantly censoring your thought by rationalizing which is the kiss of death for intuition.

Thanks for the very interesting selection of links. I always appreciated your fine eye for such things. The passage that stood out and drew me in was “One of my favorite links in this collection is about how our bodies’ intelligence registers future events long before we’re consciously aware of them.” Like you, I am fascinated by ways and means to read future events. I really enjoyed the article and learning about Somatic Marker Hypothesis. To learn how to cultivate the skill of intuition, all I would have to do is to go through your articles here on Powered by Intuition.

I also enjoyed the link on mentalism by Simon Winthrop. Even though I have never watched the mentalist, I did dabble in mentalism during my younger days because I have always been drawn to the weird and bizarre.

Thanks for sharing these links! :)

Irving the Vizier
    The Vizier recently posted..The Art of Proper Nourishment

Hi Irving,
      Thank you. I know you really appreciate this information and that make my day!
      How interesting I didn’t know you had dabbled in mentalism? It doesn’t surprise me though.
      When I was a little girl I wanted to be a magician! I had a magic kit and did card tricks. I put on a show for the kids in our neighborhood.
      Have a great weekend! Thanks again for visiting and sharing your thoughts here.

3. Angela thanks for highlighting the benefits of meditation,it’s really the key to developing ones’ intuition I think. It has been for me, especially going on longer retreats of a week or more. But a week really allows one to drop inside, notice the surface static and let it go, and then a deeper quiet awareness develops. It’s really so profound, I wish more people saw the benefits then I know they would do it-if they would stick with it. Here are two places, one in Mass, and one in California, where one can go on weekend or longer retreats: http://www.dharma.org/ in Mass., & http://www.spiritrock.org/ in CA.
    Namaste
    Kala recently posted..7 Creative Ways to Stop Feeling Like A Victim!

Hi Kala,
      You’re so welcome. I’ve been meditating for half my life now and used to be an instructor too, so anytime I have the chance to tout the benefits of meditation I do. Meditation is like breathing to me – when I stop “I don’t feel so good!” lol. My wish is that we make meditation part of the curriculum in public schools. I think we’d have a different society with much less violence if children were taught to meditate.
      Thank you for mentioning the names of the two organizations offering meditation retreats to us here.
      I appreciate your adding so much to the conversation here Kala.

4. Each one of these facts are interesting and I like the one on being a mentalist and the one on meditation. You’re posts are so filled with rich research and information there’s no doubt you know your stuff! I’m going to the library today.
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..A Bold Artist With A Smiling Heart

Hi Tess,
      I’m glad you found the links interesting. Yes, the one about becoming a mentalist – which is a word used by people who don’t want to be called psychics, was very interesting. Have a great weekend.

5. I love all the great articles you collect, Angela! I enjoyed the Mentalist one the most because it gives me a kick in the pants to practice something I believe strongly all writers (which is where it links to creativity) need–the ability to be acutely aware of their world. One of the things I practice is trying to stay present to the energy of what’s around me, and I know that when I zone out, I cut off my link to my own wisdom and creativity and I’m unable to read the cues in my surroundings–in people AND places. We are all so much more intuitive and creative than we usually allow yourselves to be. Reading articles like these is a reminder to “kick it up a notch.” ;)
    Ande Waggener recently posted..A Little Lesson In How Your Thought Energy Works

Hi Ande,
      Great assessment – thank you. That’s my premise, exactly. We are so much more creative and intuitive than we allow, and believe ourselves to be. The reason I include the links to articles about how our bodies are registering the intuitive signals about things before we consciously do is to show people that they are getting intuitive information whether they know it or not.
      Thanks so much for coming by and commenting. As always it’s a pleasure to have you visit.

6. Hi Angela! Thanks for the wonderful links. We can all use some more intuition in our lives. I particularly like the Meditation section. I love the fact that meditation helps with memory and learning. That’s probably one of the reasons why meditation in schools have such great results.
    Thanks for the wonderful resources. Loving blessings!
    Andrea DeBell – britetalk recently posted..Grow the Seeds of Your Desires

Hi Andrea,
      Oh, it’s my pleasure. I love sharing all this fascinating information.
      There are so many great reasons to meditate. I wish we made meditation part of the curriculum in public schools.
      I think the kids would benefit greatly – we might also see a decline in violence too.
      Thank you so much for coming by and spending a little time with me – I’ve enjoyed you visit.

7. Thanks Angela! I’ll look forward to reading through these articles. Each section looks equally as interesting!! Thanks for gathering them together in one place.
    Betsy recently posted..Can You Find Opportunity In Adversity

Hi Betsy,
      Glad you like the links. Which section interests you the most? Intuition, meditation or creativity?

8. I thought the most interesting part was the link between risk-taking not only to creativity, but to intuition. Lowered inhibitions for the win!
    I’d also like to chime in my support for the holographic universe. That’s my particular passion, keeping track of how science is slowly confirming much of the ancient wisdom. Thanks for all the great links to support that!
    Shanna Mann recently posted..When you Must- but ONLY when You Must…Follow your own Damn Advice

Hi Shanna,
      Yes, you’re so right – you do need to overcome your inhibitions in order to hear your intuition. When we are reigned by our inhibitions the logical mind will step and we’re guaranteed to be wrong! Letting go of inhibitions is the tie in between both to creativity and intuition. I love reading the science that backs up all that we believe to be true.
      It’s a pleasure having a conversation with you Shanna!

9. Hey awesome post! It really is an upsetting fact that we are such a lazy nation! We have lost sight of our intuition and our own body language, like birds migrating. Their bodies tell them when the time comes. Or like an animal walking down the path in the woods. They smell and feel everything that has been through or is coming. If we walked down the same path, we wouldn’t notice any of that. I liked the risk takers page. That is pretty interesting. I consider myself to be quite the risk taker and adventure seeker, so I was able to relate to it.
    Jasmine recently posted..personalized puzzle

• Angela Artemis

Hi Jasmin, I love the idea of intuition being like the guidance birds receive during migration. Terrific.
      Animals do live by their intuition – I hadn’t even thought of that. Jasmin you’re full of terrific insights – thatnk you so much for sharing.
      Yes, the risk taking article was interesting wasn’t it? I consider myself a risk taker also.
      Thanks so much for coming by and adding so much to the conversation here.

10. I love the connections you are making here, Angela. Creativity and intuition go hand in hand. Great creativity is really about getting out of our own way and opening up to universal mind. Meditation can help us leap the worlds ties and access that unlimited part we all have.
    rob white recently posted..How to Rid Your Mind Permanently of Howling “NO’s”

Hi Rob,
      I’m glad you found the links useful and interesting. Creativity and Intuition are first cousins!! When we add meditation both go through the roof! Thanks so much for your continued support Rob.

11. Thanks for the useful links Angela.

My wife started meditating several months ago and she realized instant results. Now, the impact isn’t as significant. I will share the meditation links with her.

For me? I’m always looking for new ways to increase my creativity – so I will be following those.

Alex

Hi Alex,
      I’m so glad to hear your wife started meditating. I feel like: that puts one more on our team! (having been a meditation instructor I can’t help thinking this way…..(:-) It’s amazing how the benefits reveal themselves in many small ways that add up over time. I’m fascinated by creativity which is why I’m happy to share the articles I’ve come across. Great! Thanks so much for commenting Alex – knowing you found the information useful makes my day!

12. What interests me Angela is that intuition is becoming the link between science and spirituality as more and more research discovers evidence of its accuracy and exisitence. Long may that continue!
    John Sherry recently posted..The Definition Of Beauty

Hi John,
      We share the same interest then John! I’ve always been interested in the science behind intuition. I believe that much of science is beginning to validate what was written thousands of years ago in Upanishads by the Hindus about our living in a holographic universe, and much more. Yes – long may it continue! Thanks so much for coming by and adding so much to the conversation here – it’s always a treat to have you as my guest!

1. How to Meditate Your Way to Success | Powered by Intuition 27 11 11
  2. How to Use Creative Meditation to Increase Personal Power | Shake Off the Grind 22 04 11
  3. Tweets that mention Intuition, Meditation & Creativity: Lucious Links from a Tribal Minx | Powered By Intuition -- Topsy.com 28 01 11