partner
international

The Amazing Grace of Thanksgiving Day

Have you ever really listened to the lyrics in the famous Gospel hymn, “Amazing Grace?”

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T’was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

(click here for the rest of the lyrics)

Contemplating these lyrics has given me an understanding of the awesome power of “grace” to regenerate our lives.

So many of us are going through upheaval and restructuring in our lives right now.

Are you one of them?

Have long time relationships crumbled? Jobs and income disappeared? Support systems you thought you could count on vanished?

If so, you’re not alone. I don’t think many people would deny that we are living through incredibly turbulent times.

My life has been turned upside down too with selling my home and moving all within a short period of time, and with being in the real estate finance business, an industry that’s barely hanging on by a thread right now.

One thing that’s helped me through all this though has been contemplating the amazing power of “grace” to restore my capsized boat/life to an upright position again, and the extraordinary wisdom the Pilgrims had to set aside a day to honor and activate this power with the first Thanksgiving.

Do you know what the definition of “grace” is? Merriam Webster’s online dictionary defines it as:

Unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification; a virtue coming from God; a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace.

When you couple the power of “grace” with a holiday like Thanksgiving you create an unstoppable force to create miracles in your life. Did you know that? Miracles can and do happen – everyday – if only we would stop and look and “recognize” them.

When we focus on the good in our lives and “give thanks” with true appreciation from the heart we are sending out a powerful request from the seat of our soul, which is the heart, to repair, restore and regenerate our lives directly to the creative forces of the Universe.

The Universe is malleable and a blank slate until we impress our thoughts upon it, so it cannot help but respond to our request if only we become aware and use this awesome power within us.

I like to focus on this particular line:

How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

The hymn instructs us to look beyond the conditions we are experiencing, no matter how dark things might appear to be, and to look to the love and divine protection of the Universe and focus on the good in our lives instead.

Miracles occur when we believe, and when we give the good in our lives power and withdraw the power from the “not so good.”

The moment you begin to give thanks for what’s good, and believe that the power of divine grace is working for you – is the instant that you will be lifted up above the negative conditions and your life will change for the better.

That’s what this line in the hymn tells us to do – and metaphysically this is what happens to us. The Universe can’t make us recognize the good – only we can do that, but the second we do our lives can and will change for the better, and we go from “blind” to “seeing” the truth – that we are blessed.

Was blind, but now I see.

We are creating our lives no matter what we choose to believe.

• If we believe things happen at random and we are like little boats adrift on a stormy sea – then we will experience our lives this way.
  • If we believe that everything happens for our good and growth, and that our every thought and emotion create our reality, and that by changing how we think and feel about the events of our lives we can create a better life – then what we’ll experience is a better life.

• If we give thanks for all the good in life and believe in the amazing power of grace to cradle and lift us above the conditions of our lives – we will experience miracles.

And this miracle happens in “the twinkling of an eye” when we choose to give thanks and focus on the good in our lives.

It doesn’t mean our problems will fix themselves – it does mean, though, we should focus on the solution and things working out well. Hold a vision of the “good/solution” in our mind’s eye. When we do this and believe in divine grace we are lifted above the problem and able to focus on the solution instead of remaining mired in the problem.

So, this Thanksgiving while you’re surrounded by family, even if there are squabbles and problems, give thanks for their love and support.

Give thanks for the roof over your head and the food you’ve been given.

Give thanks for the Earth and all her loving bounty, and all the people that walk upon her.

Give thanks for all the choices you have, and for your mind in particular, and the miraculous power your mind has to recreate yourself and your life.

Give thanks, thanks, thanks and more thanks.

Make a decision to live your life this way – every day, and choose Thanksgiving as your new re-birthday – the day you take back your awesome power to create your masterpiece – your life.

Even if you don’t celebrate Thanksgiving – begin to incorporate the magnificence of divine grace into your life by focusing on the good and watch your life change for the better.

Happy Thanksgiving and re-happy birthday to one and all!

Have you ever experience divine grace? What happened? What effect did it have on your life?

If you enjoyed this article please subscribe and share it on Facebook and Twitter. Thank you.

Comments

comments

A belated Happy Thanksgiving!

And you too!

2. Angela

What an excellent post. Such a well known song but you have given it new meaning. Sometimes I feel it is such a pity that we don’t have Thanksgiving in the UK. I think we could benefit from it.
    marion recently posted..How to achieve your goals the simple way

Hi Marion,
      Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed the post.
      Yes, Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, in fact, it’s my favorite.

Being grateful has so many benefits as I recently wrote about it too.I know you are going through many things with selling a house to moving, it can be overwhelming. Perfect post to read during Thanksgiving!
    Zengirl @ Heart and Mind recently posted..Giving Thanks- How Gratitude Can Improve Your Life

Hi Preeti,
      I’m so glad to see your comments getting through again!
      I know – being grateful has amazing health benefits too.
      I’m finally calming down as I settle into my new quarters.
      Happy Thanksgiving day to you and your family!

4. Angela, this is such a great & powerful article – and such an incredible celebration of a strong and profound hymn. It’s a song I sing when I need strength or feel I’ve lost clarity and it always brings me home to connectedness with spirit.

Grace arrives in many forms and is experienced in so many different ways. It still blows me away when I have an experience where grace takes over – I’ve had so many of those moments and feel so blessed to know what it is to receive an act of grace. I find it hard to put into words, – and you have found a brilliant way to convey it in this post. – such a beautiful tribute to grace

Hi Aileen,
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and G & your family.
      I’m glad you enjoyed the article. I feel it came “through” me and was written by a higher part of myself.
      Yes, I love the hymn too, but only knew the refrain, until now.
      I think it’s been infused with a spiritual power from all the people who’ve sung it over the years.
      Grace is amazing, isn’t it? I don’t think the term was widely understood though – which is one of the reasons I included the definition.
      Thank you for such lovely compliments and for visiting and commenting.

5. I just came across the word Grace while researching some gratitude quotes. I love it! I’ve always loved the song, “Amazing Grace”. It always fills my eyes with tears. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving in your new home!
    Betsy recently posted..Living Thanksgiving All Year!

Hi Betsy,
      I guess “grace” is one of those words we’ve heard our entire lives without really understanding until now. That’s how it was with me, anyway. I do love the word now that I truly understand it – and its power.
      I hope you have a marvelous Thanksgiving too!

Happy Holy Days…oops I meant Holidays;) Gratitude is so powerful and so healing. I remember when I first learned from Louise Hay that I could be grateful in advance! I was blown away.

I didn’t know the definition of Grace so thanks for explaining that.

About the song I would change the word “wretch” because we so much more than that…bright shining stars. xo Tess
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..You’re Invited to Change the World Through the Girl Effect

Hi Tess,
      Holy days and holidays – I accept good wishes for any day! Thank you.
      Gratitude is so powerful and healing. I never really understood that until recently.
      I would be grateful for this or that, but not the “not so good” stuff in my life.
      Something shifted in the last two or three years and I became aware of every aspect of my life being worthy of gratitude, and you know – I feel truly blessed. I used to know I was “blessed” intellectually, but I didn’t really feel it until now.

I think knowing the definition of “grace” makes it more real and accessible to us, don’t you think?

Yeah, I agree – I don’t like the word “wretch” either. I think each of us is a “bright shining star.” Well put!
      XXOO back to you Tess! Happy Thanksgiving.

7. Wow Angela, this was phenomenal, seriously.

I’m grateful to say that I’m at the point in my life where I see grace everywhere and in everything. I see a world that’s just wanting and waiting to assist me. I’m happier and healthier than I’ve been in years, and I owe it to this attitude and paradigm of grace and gratitude that you speak of so eloquently here.

Thanks for such powerful words on this important holiday…

Hi Marcus,
      I’m so glad you found the post moving. I have to state for the record – I didn’t write it! It came through me though and wrote itself.

I love that you see grace everywhere and in everything and a world that’s just wanting and waiting to assist you.
      I feel the same way! We do get whatever it is we’re looking for in this world – that’s the magical key that opens the door to miracles!
      Once we realize we already possess the key – we can live joyously in abundance and grace forever.

I’m so glad you enjoyed the post and thought it powerful.
      I really appreciate your words and your thoughtfulness in commenting.
      Have a really marvelous Thanksgiving.

8. Well said…

A good idea is to keep a journal & every night write 3 things that you are grateful/thankful for in it.
    carolee Sperry a.k.a. The Blogging Biz Mom recently posted..Holiday Fun- promote yourself!

Hi Carolee,
      Yes, what a wonderful way to instill the habit of gratitude. Thank you for making that suggestion here!
      Happy Thanksgiving to you.

9. Focusing on the good is wonderful Angela. Thank you for sharing this grace. Happy Thanksgiving – I’m thankful to know you and call you a friend.

Alex

Hi Alex,
      When I look for the good – I find it. When I look for the “not so good” I find that too, so now I look only for the good.
      I’m so gratified by being able to share my writing with everyone – it brings tears to my eyes Alex.
      I’m so thankful and grateful to have you as a friend as well. Knowing you enriches my life beyond measure.
      I hope that you and your family will have wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

I know the lyrcis well..I let them wash over me when I walk by the ocean and look at the sky, the hills, the beauty around me..
    If you combine your previous title with this one..”Unleash the power of grace..” that is the premise of the miracles in my life..
    I cannot tell you ‘how’ ever..I can only tell you that each and every day regardless of external..I wake glad to be in this day and I open my heart to it as it is..and miracles are perfectly placed..every single day. My children and my loved ones kind of expect it..When I open my heart miracles are placed..when I clean the space abundant miracles are placed..
    My heart overflows with gratitude from the moment I wake until the moment I fall asleep..thank you is my mantra..’thank you’ is my life..
    I *believe* that anything truly is possible..my life is as grand as I allow it to be..
    It is important to extend grace to myself..it took me a lifetime to learn that..I have to believe in my ‘self’..my ‘worthiness’ ‘center of good’ ‘core’ whatever label one might want to use..so that I may embrace fully rather than deflect..It is one thing to have multiple miracles placed, quite another to embrace them fully and learn to share from this abundant well…That is upping the ante on magic:)
    Joy recently posted..The Lost Girl…

Hi Joy,
      I love your mantra! “My heart overflows with gratitude from the moment I wake until the moment I fall asleep.”
      Simply beautiful.
      I do believe that “magic” is real too – it’s the magic that grace extends when we believe that there is a force for good running the Universe that we are a part of, and that we can tap into and use in our lives if only we believe.

11. Angela – well wasn’t that directly from the heart. That was such a great read…totally inspirational!

“Give thanks thanks thanks and more thanks”! I’ll practice this immediately: thanks thanks thanks Angela for this wonder post and reminding me of the power behind grace!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
    Jk recently posted..The Power of Simplification

• Thank you. I’m so glad you found it inspirational. To be honest it sort of wrote itself, so I guess it is directly from the heart as you said.
      You’re too funny Jk~!
      And, I want to thank thank thank you for coming by and reading my article!
      I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving as well.

I love Amazing Grace. It used to be one of my favourite songs as a child. I could listen to it over and over without getting bored and feel all tingly and warm inside.

For me, divine grace is how things that go wrong seem to turn out for the best for me. For example when I was struggling with making a switch from sales to back end insurance work, I managed to find a job where they were willing to take me even though I had no experience. That was one instance of divine grace for me because I thought that back then I would never make the transition.

I believe that we should always focus on the solution and not the problem. That has become a mantra of sorts for me and helps to shape my thoughts and guide my actions. Thus there is truly a lot to give thanks for in life and we should do so often.

Thank you for sharing this article!
    The Vizier recently posted..How to Live Without Regrets

Hi Han,
      I’m so glad you enjoyed the post and that you love the hymn too. It’s a beautiful song that I’d never really listened to before. I heard it a week ago and went to the internet to look up the lyrics and it became the backbone for the post you read.

Wow, it does sound as if divine grace interceded on your behalf with your job situation! That’s the miracle of it, isn’t it?

Yes, I believe we should focus on the solution not the problem as well.

Thanks for visiting and adding to the conversation here.

This is such a powerful post. I appreciated this thought in particular: “If we believe things happen at random and we are like little boats adrift on a stormy sea – then we will experience our lives this way.”

I found this part of the dictionary definition of grace odd thought – “Unmerited divine assistance.” Why unmerited? We all have a fundamental heart of goodness and true grace is recognizing that. We are all deserving of grace!
    Sandra Lee recently posted..Happiness Is An Inside Job

Hi Sandra,
      I’m glad you enjoyed the post.
      I believe they used the word “unmerited” because no matter who you are, or what you’ve done you’re deserving “divine grace.” Meaning – even the lowest of low and blemished person can receive “divine grace,” and that it’s unconditional. I think that’s why in the hymn they say, “it saved a poor wretch like me.”

14. Angela, simply amazing!

I am lost for words.

I think this line says it all for me:-

“Believe in the power of divine grace to lift you up and carry you over the snares and pitfalls – and you will experience the miracle of “divine grace.”

I am a convert and a believer:-)

Blessings, Arvind
    Arvind Devalia recently posted..Thanksgiving Week Lesson 2 – How to Let Yourself Give and Receive

• Angela Artemis

Oh Arvind, I’m so happy to hear that and thank you for your lovely compliment!

15. Wonderfully put, Angela. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for precisely the reasons you outlined here. It is the perfect opportunity to sincerely reflect on the many blessings of life. Indeed these are turbulent times for many… and there is no better way to maintain a soaring attitude than giving thanks & appreciation. Attitude is everything. One simply cannot rise above the fray with a depressed psychic state. We must stop worrying about what circumstances are doing to us, and start noticing what our mood and attitude are doing to our circumstances… Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to take a look at all that is RIGHT with our lives.
    rob white recently posted..Fussing and Insisting

Hi Rob,
      Thank you so much. Me too – I love Thanksgiving.
      You’re right it is the perfect time to reflect on how richly we’ve been blessed.
      Again – I totally agree we need to focus on the good in our lives and not worry about “what the circumstances are doing to us.”
      I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Rob.

1. A Day for Gratitude and Thanksgiving | Powered by Intuition 23 11 11
  2. A Simple Guide to Living In The Light | Powered By Intuition 24 01 11
  3. Why You Should Give New Year's Resolutions the Boot! | Powered By Intuition 15 12 10
  4. Tweets that mention The Amazing Grace of Thanksgiving Day | Powered By Intuition -- Topsy.com 23 11 10