Could Your Thoughts Create an Earthquake?

At the time of the earthquake that rocked southern California on Easter – Deepak Chopra was meditating.

So what, you say?

He sent out a Tweet saying,” Had a powerful meditation just now – caused an earthquake in Southern California.”

Followed by another Tweet, “Was meditating on Shiva mantra and the earth began to shake. Sorry about that.”

It was funny, and of course no one took him seriously, but it made me curious as to how far reaching and powerful our thoughts might be?

A study I read about came to mind that involved Transcendental Meditation affecting crime rates. Studies conducted by the Institute of Science, Technology & Public Safety in 1993 showed that there was a significant decrease in crime rates in neighborhoods surrounding the location of  a Washington DC Transcendental Meditation center where TM meditators met weekly. The larger the group that gathered to meditate – the larger the drop in the crime rate was following the meeting.

Somehow the thoughts generated by these meditators had an effect on their environment. Granted it didn’t cause an earthquake, but the correlation between the nights the group meditated and decreases in crime were reviewed and agreed upon by numerous independent academics, criminologists and police personnel.

Another interesting phenomenon correlated to thoughts generated by humans was the  enormous change in the earth’s magnetic resonance recorded on September 11, 2001.

A few hours before the 9/11 attacks took place the machines monitoring the earth’s resonance spiked indicating that there was mass intuitive awareness of the horrible incidents that were about to happen.  The Global Coherence Project site reported that: Space weather satellites monitoring the earth’s geomagnetic field displayed a significant spike at the time of the September 11th attack and for several days thereafter, indicating the stress wave possibly caused by mass human emotion created modulations in the geomagnetic field.

It’s as if the collective fear and emotion that was released on September 11th was recorded by this living eco-system we call Earth.

If the thoughts of meditators can affect crime rates, and mass human emotions the geomagnetic field, maybe Deepak Chopra’s Tweet isn’t so far out after all?

What do you think? Does it make the case for all of us being connected?

Do we humans affect our environment, and perhaps each other with our thoughts?

I believe we can and do.

I’d like to make a suggestion here: How about sending Peace and Love out to the entire world right now as you read this sentence, and then forward the post to as many people as you can?

It couldn’t hurt. In fact, it just might help.

Comments

comments

Love the article! I do believe that thoughts create form and that is how things manifest. Before anything is created it first must have been in someone’s thoughts. Feng Shui teachings say the same thing, just in an Asian version. However, I never thought about thoughts creating a natural phenomena! That is something worth pondering about. Keep it up!

• Anonymous

Hi Jenny, Thank you so much for visiting my blog. It’s so nice to meet another kindred spirit. Yes, for sure – our thoughts are creative.
      I’m a huge fan of Feng Shui. Everything I’ve read about it makes sense to me.

2. Angela, thank you. If a butterfly flapping its wings can cause a major weather event on the other side of the world, then surely one thought can, too. Our thoughts are real, and they have power, which deepens our essential responsibility for what kind of thoughts we think.

And yes, we broadcast frequencies and energy vibrations that resonate and amplify and which reflect and transform our thoughts. Thanks for your reminder that each of us is a powerhouse!

Smiling gratitude and love from the mountains in Japan – Catrien Ross.

• Anonymous

Hi Catrien, Thank you for visiting my blog all the way from Japan! Each of us is a powerhouse – you’re right and that is a wonderful way to describe it. If we could all come together and put the power of thoughts to good use we would surely overcome so many of the ills of society. Thank you forwarding and sending your good vibrations. I am feeling them now.

3. angelaa

Baker, thank you so much for your fascinating comment. I’m going to have take OBE lessons from you. You’re amazing. I love that you could see the colors change in your aura based on what you were feeling.

4. angelaa

Rosemarie, Thank you so much for your comment. I totally agree with you too. If we can feel the negativity someone emits than we can surely feel the positivity other emit. I choose to emit goodness wherever I go.

5. I believe that thoughts carry an energy to really change things in the physical world. But to take it further I would say our feelings and vibratons is what really changes things in our phsyical world. I was having an OBE the other day and I saw the rainbow color of my aura and whatever thought I chose to think in that state would change my feeling state and the colors then resonated with the vibrational feeling I was consously putting out.

Nice post!

I’m totally with you. We’ve all experienced the change in mood a single person can have on an entire group when entering a room. Someone who is very down brings everyone with them and a cheerful sunny disposition lifts everyone’s spirits. How can that be? Only answer is we are all connected. See the beauty around you and let it shape your thoughts. I know this works.

7. angelaa

Steve,
    Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. It is fascinating to think just what we could all do if we put all our collective muscle behind one resonant thought. I also found it fascinating about the drop in crime rates in DC too. The meditators weren’t trying to do anything in particular either.

8. Steve

As someone who felt the Easter earthquake very clearly, I’d appreciate it if Deepak would keep his meditations in check, that was no little shaker! ;-)

That’s fascinating about 9/11 and the spikes in energy. It makes sense, millions and millions of people around the world watching it unfold on live tv – that’s an awful lot of raw emotion all on the same wavelength so to speak.

Sending good vibes – great post!

9. Manal, I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and thank your for sending peace and love into the world too! I agree with you that we cannot make anyone do anything. It’s up the them. All we can do is be there and offer love and support – and forgiveness if needed.

10. Sending peaceful loving thoughts to my fellow humans and all other beings.

Well said Angela. I think we create our environment and our own lives.

We also create the collective experience. The world is full of suffering because of our own fears of others, not trusting and a lack mentality.

I’m not sure if we can affect another individual’s life though. I was once told it’s like painting on someone else’s canvas. You can’t do it without their permission :).

1. Tweets that mention Could Our Thoughts Create an Earthquake? | Mystic Musings & Meditations -- Topsy.com 08 04 10